The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 05:20 AM   #521
Rave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I started reading this post but now that I realize it's over three years in the making, I don't have the time to read all of it in just one sitting. I think the idea is great and I just recently used it to bottle a few beers. The only question I have and I hope it's not off topic, but what's the rule for storing the bottles once they are filled. Do they have to be stored cold or can they be stored at room temp?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 05:23 AM   #522
GillandCo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't think temp matters, but you will hear different opinions...Sun does, but how do you think ppl bottle then send there beers off to comps.

If you don't like it...We don't Care!

Old 10-20-2010, 01:29 AM   #523
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I store mine in the basement with no problems

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 11-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #524
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

OK, has my first dry run with the BMBF today. I had some trouble at first getting my capper onto the cap after tilting (step 11) so I just put my wing capper over the cap and then tilted. I was able to do a 12 pack in about 10 minutes first time out. I was a bit off frame when I did it, but you get the idea.

Awesome!!

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 11-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #525
Flywheel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

#subscribed

Old 11-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #526
MJDore
Recipes 

Planning to give this a shot today with an empty Coors Light Home Draft system I've been aiming to use. I have a gallon or so of Pumpkin Spice in a keg that I need to free up so I can keg my Holiday Ale and get it carbed in time for THanksgiving.

I'm planning to use the same process BierMuncher laid out, only with a larger drilled stopper, obviously. I will then add a 16g CO2 cartridge for serving.

What do you guys think? i'll let you know how it works out.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:27 AM   #527
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDore View Post
Planning to give this a shot today with an empty Coors Light Home Draft system I've been aiming to use. I have a gallon or so of Pumpkin Spice in a keg that I need to free up so I can keg my Holiday Ale and get it carbed in time for THanksgiving.

I'm planning to use the same process BierMuncher laid out, only with a larger drilled stopper, obviously. I will then add a 16g CO2 cartridge for serving.

What do you guys think? i'll let you know how it works out.
Should work fine. I fill growlers using this method with a bigger stopper. No worries.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:47 AM   #528
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not sure if this is covered in the 50 pages, but I used to do this with my picnic taps. Then I got real faucets and the tube was too small to fit on the faucets.

But now I got a 5/8" ID tube (3/4" OD) and it's awesome! Fits snugly on the end of the faucet and fits so tight in the neck of the bottle, you don't even need to turn down the dispense pressure or cool the bottle. After a few ounces, the bottle is pressurized, and there's NO FOAM! It's actually almost too little foam - not even enough to cap on foam. Works great!

And the beer gun continues to collect dust...

Old 11-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #529
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 25

subscribed

Old 12-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #530
TXBobS
Recipes 

I'm sure not what purpose the stopper is providing here. It is just helping to keep the beer from foaming? It seems like you wouldn't want to maintain any pressure in there since it is just air. If you fill the bottle with CO2 first, then I can see where you would want to use the stopper method.

I'm also wondering why you would need to pump CO2 into the bottle before displacing it all with beer. I think this is the method of the commercial beer gun, right? Seems to me that if you fill the bottle to the top with beer, there will be no gas left.

Shouldn't you be able to just fill it up, minimizing foam and then cap it while the head is at the top of the bottle?

Am I oversimplifying it or missing something?

Quick Reply