Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #501
billc68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball358 View Post
It certainly seems cheaper, but the one thing that the beer gun allows that this setup doesnt is the ability to fill your bottle with co2 prior to filling. This seems to me that it would push out the oxygen and thus extend the shelf life of your beer, would it not? Or does it not make that much of a difference?

Im in the market for something like this so all advice would be appreciated
true, but you could easily rig something up. Either squirt a little in the bottle or place all of your bottles in a tub with some dry ice, CO2 is heavier than air and will fill the bottles.

I wonder if you could put sterilized bottles in a tub, with a lid and airlock and have CO2 pumped in over a few days from a blow off tube as you are fermenting???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #502
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog View Post
You posted this just in time for me. I am just getting started with kegging and typically give away a 12 pack or so every few batches.
Someone made a short reference to this above but to be clear, don't forget to purge your head space in the keg a few times with CO2 after you remove your "12 beers" If you're letting the keg carbonate with sugar (since you probably had to add sugar for the bottles to work), you will probably want to put that head space up to ...what.... 20 PSI? Anyone? I'll let an expert suggest a number but I'm just saying to give the sugar a 'boost' or it will not create enough pressure to actually carbonate the rest of your batch with that much head space. I think that was written in English but I haven't had my coffee yet.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #503
jmkratt
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Tried this setup last night to bottle some of my Black IPA and it worked great! I was amazed at how simple it is.

I did have one question that I was hoping to get some clarification on that I didn't see in the back-read. When BM says:

Before locking down the cap on each bottles...tip the bottle on its side and back (holding the cap on with your finger of course). This will cause the beer to begin to foam.

I just put my finger on the cap, took the bottle and slowly turned it upside down. It started foaming but only a couple of the sixer had foam that overflowed. Is my method flawed?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:02 AM   #504
Brewdouche-RuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

yes and no.

Somehow someway you want to be putting the cap onto a small, but not volcanic pillow of foam when capping to insure that there is no O2 in the bottle if storing for an extended period of time. Any way you achieve that that works for you is fine.

You knuckleheadz are my kinda smacktardZ
#3 DONT be a Brewdouche.
Comprehensive Beer Podcast list.
BasicBrewing
The Brewing Network

Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 AM   #505
Pagey2379
Recipes 

Quick question for those of you who have been doing this a bit longer than I. With this method, which i have used a couple of times now, I have always kept the bottles cold after filling. Does the carbonation or flavor get affected at all if you allow them to get to room temperature for storage? The reason i ask is i am going on a 2 week vacation and want to take my brews with me, but i don't want to have to keep several cases cold all the time.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:09 AM   #506
Banjoman76
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I made a BMBG a while ago and love its simplicity although the first time I used it I didn't refrigerate the bottle (big mistake).

One question: If I decided to use this with a growler, What size drilled stopper do I need ? a size 5.5 or 6 ?

Old 08-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #507
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagey2379 View Post
Quick question for those of you who have been doing this a bit longer than I. With this method, which i have used a couple of times now, I have always kept the bottles cold after filling. Does the carbonation or flavor get affected at all if you allow them to get to room temperature for storage? The reason i ask is i am going on a 2 week vacation and want to take my brews with me, but i don't want to have to keep several cases cold all the time.
You may get some sediment in the bottles, but you'll probably be just fine. I've bottled beer off my kegerator from kegs that have been cold for months. Put the bottles on a shelf in the basement and after a month or two there was cloudy sediment in the beers. Yeast are very resilient, and seem to be hard to kill...lol. I think two weeks should be fine. There was nothing wrong with the beer, just had to treat like it was bottle conditioned. But ever since, I made great pains to keep my beer chilled. If your only going for a couple of weeks, I think you'll be OK.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #508
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoman76 View Post
I made a BMBG a while ago and love its simplicity although the first time I used it I didn't refrigerate the bottle (big mistake).

One question: If I decided to use this with a growler, What size drilled stopper do I need ? a size 5.5 or 6 ?
Depends on the growler. I ended up using a better bottle stopper. Worked great!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:14 AM   #509
TimmyR

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

OK...this will be my last post here. My name is Tim and I love the BeerGun.

I am a convert after bottling around 50 various bottles using the BeerGun last month. I still have my cobra-tap/bottle-filler/poor-mans counter-pressure filler just in case I am tempted back to it.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #510
DanPoch

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been following this thread for a while now and have tried filling some pints from my kegs with this. And I have a question about releasing the pressure in the keg.

I've read that a rapid decrease in pressure, like opening the relief valve all the way, will cause some of the CO2 to burst out of solution and create a 'head' in the keg. This in turn uses up some of the head creating and keeping proteins that are in the beer. Perhaps it's not using enough to worry about, but I didn't see anything here about releasing the pressure in the keg slow or fast, so thought I'd ask the question.

Does the pressure in the keg have to be reduced slowly?

"I'd rather be happy than right, any day."

Quick Reply