Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #491
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I used this method to fill a lot of bottles, and it was doable. My biggest issue was all of the beer that I'd lose when it leaked out of the racking cane piece after filling one. I borrowed a friend's Beer Gun and bottled a few cases with it really quickly... and lost almost no beer. I ended up buying the beer gun. This method does work, and is great on a budget... but the Beer Gun makes the whole process a *lot* easier.

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #492
jmkratt
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by diatonic View Post
I used this method to fill a lot of bottles, and it was doable. My biggest issue was all of the beer that I'd lose when it leaked out of the racking cane piece after filling one. I borrowed a friend's Beer Gun and bottled a few cases with it really quickly... and lost almost no beer. I ended up buying the beer gun. This method does work, and is great on a budget... but the Beer Gun makes the whole process a *lot* easier.
Could you not just allow the "wasted" beer to drop into the bottle and so then you wouldn't lose any?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:05 AM   #493
billc68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am wondering if instead of the picnic tap and racking can, you could just attach a bottling cane to 7ft of line and the stopper of course.

OR can the stopper too but pre-fill your bottles with a little CO2. I was thinking you could just blow a little cO2 in each bottle or toss a bunch of bottle in a tub and melt a cube of dry ice in said tub, gravity should allow the CO2 to enter the bottles and expel the oxygen.

At worst you should only loose a wee bit of carbonation, so perhaps over carb, just slightly before hand.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #494
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by diatonic View Post
It does take some practice. First time I wasted about half a beer filling a sixer. Now, I can do the bottles over a towel, instead of a bucket, and not loose more than a drop.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #495
jmkratt
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
It does take some practice. First time I wasted about half a beer filling a sixer. Now, I can do the bottles over a towel, instead of a bucket, and not loose more than a drop.
Is there a method you'd recommend?

Old 06-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #496
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Haven't read the whole thread in quite a while. Basically I do what BM said to do from the beginning. I don't chill the line or bottles, other than using star-san mixed up with cold water. I dial down the pressure and fill away. When foam comes out I quickly move to the next bottle. I guess the secret is having everything available in arms reach, with minimal time between bottles. Like I said, I think practice is key.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #497
mcamarra
Recipes 

This may be a dumb question. I've got my cascadian IPA kegged in my fridge and I plan on bottling the last 2 gallons I have left with the BMBG (I live in NYC so no room for a keggerator). Question is, after they're bottled, do I have to store the beers in the fridge, or can I store them at room temp? And what is the final word on the shelf life of the beers with the BMBG?

Old 07-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #498
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

There is no final word But you can store them at room temp. I have had beers bottled up to a year so far using this method with no discernible loss of quality.

-Joe

Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #499
Meatball358
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It certainly seems cheaper, but the one thing that the beer gun allows that this setup doesnt is the ability to fill your bottle with co2 prior to filling. This seems to me that it would push out the oxygen and thus extend the shelf life of your beer, would it not? Or does it not make that much of a difference?

Im in the market for something like this so all advice would be appreciated

I wanna live. I don’t wanna die. That’s the whole meaning of life: Not dying! I figured that ---- out by myself in the third grade.

-George Carlin

Old 07-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #500
Meatball358
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Forgive me if you guys have already answered my above question 1000 times, I didnt really read most of the responses on this thread due to its length

I wanna live. I don’t wanna die. That’s the whole meaning of life: Not dying! I figured that ---- out by myself in the third grade.

-George Carlin

Quick Reply