Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #401
cvstrat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just wanted to chime in and say thanks! There is a home brew comp coming up in about 20 days and I just bottled my entry from the keg using this method. Really was pretty easy Any ideas on how to clean the picnic tap easily after you remove it?

Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2009, 05:11 AM   #402
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstrat View Post
I just wanted to chime in and say thanks! There is a home brew comp coming up in about 20 days and I just bottled my entry from the keg using this method. Really was pretty easy Any ideas on how to clean the picnic tap easily after you remove it?

Thanks again!
I usually just lock the tap open, drop it into a sink of sanitizing solution, give a healthy suck and let it sink to the bottom of the sink for a while.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #403
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2812 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I tried using the racking cane into spout method. my cane felt loose in teh spout so I swapped in a piece of tubing that felt snug. Well I got my two bottles filled but beer was slowly running out around the outside of the tubing as well. I went with it cause I was only filling two bottles for a coworker to try. Regardless of the fill, the comment I got about it today, It was awesome, You definitely know what you're doing!". I though. SWEET. Thanks for making me look good BM. It was your Black pepper Wit recipe.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 07-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #404
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
...Regardless of the fill, the comment I got about it today, "It was awesome, You definitely know what you're doing!". I thought - SWEET. Thanks for making me look good BM. It was your Black pepper Wit recipe.
Happy to oblige.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #405
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I tried using the racking cane into spout method. my cane felt loose in teh spout so I swapped in a piece of tubing that felt snug. Well I got my two bottles filled but beer was slowly running out around the outside of the tubing as well. I went with it cause I was only filling two bottles for a coworker to try. Regardless of the fill, the comment I got about it today, It was awesome, You definitely know what you're doing!". I though. SWEET. Thanks for making me look good BM. It was your Black pepper Wit recipe.
The power of free beer is amazing.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #406
AJC16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was told the other day to put a plastic stir stick inbetween the stopper and the bottle and use your thumb to release the co2. Just thought to share!

Old 10-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #407
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default Let's resurrect this thread.

Ok. I just bottled a case of special bitter with the BMBF. I really like it! It took a little getting used to, but it worked great. However, try as I might, I could not get foam to the top of the bottle after removing the wand. I saw in the posts that it is important to "cap on foam". Looking back at Bobby M's vide he said to "loosely cap" after removing the wand to allow C02 to evacuate the remaining head space. Ain' t that the same thing? I think I have about 2 volumes on this beer in the keg. I want it kind of low carbonation anyway, to go with the style. But I don't want it to go flat. Am I worrying too much?

Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 AM   #408
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra05 View Post
Ok. I just bottled a case of special bitter with the BMBF. I really like it! It took a little getting used to, but it worked great. However, try as I might, I could not get foam to the top of the bottle after removing the wand. I saw in the posts that it is important to "cap on foam". Looking back at Bobby M's vide he said to "loosely cap" after removing the wand to allow C02 to evacuate the remaining head space. Ain' t that the same thing? I think I have about 2 volumes on this beer in the keg. I want it kind of low carbonation anyway, to go with the style. But I don't want it to go flat. Am I worrying too much?
You'll be fine. The reason for capping on foam is that foam is CO2 and where there is foam...there is no oxygen which can cause beer to go stale faster.

I generally will place a cap on the bottle, give it a quick sideways tip (holding the cap in place with my finger of course) and when the beer begins to foam up to the cap....then crimp it.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 10-13-2009, 02:14 AM   #409
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default Thanks

Jeesh, I feel stupid. I forgot to place the cap on when I tilted the bottles. Just couldn't get any foam to come to the top, Duh! Anyway thanks for the reply. The BMBF is one great idea you had!

Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #410
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i didn't read this whole shebang. but my method is similar.. bottles same temp as beer. a plastic bottling wand fits in the cobra tap nicely. i fill at about 2 psi. i have yet to have one last more than 2 weeks and had no problems.

Quick Reply