New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #341
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastricky View Post
I'm going to give this a go too, love the innovation!

The part I'm not getting after reading all 34 pages so far is why not use a bottling wand rather than the siphon? Wouldn't that create less spillage? (But still use the rubber stopper of course to keep the foam at bay...)
You could. IMO it would be overkill with the stopper and the wand. If you use the stopper correctly that beer stops flowing pretty quickly until you depress the stopper and release a little pressure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 12:05 AM   #342
fastricky

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yes, but what I mean is leaving the picnic tap 'on' the whole time, and then when you go from bottle to bottle you're not spilling beer all over the place... no?

Old 04-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #343
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastricky View Post
Yes, but what I mean is leaving the picnic tap 'on' the whole time, and then when you go from bottle to bottle you're not spilling beer all over the place... no?
Give it a whirl.

I'm wondering though if a bottling wand fits as perfectly into a picnic tap as racking cane.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #344
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Give it a whirl.

I'm wondering though if a bottling wand fits as perfectly into a picnic tap as racking cane.
Mine does. I actually cut the end off of my bottling wand to use it.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #345
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Give it a whirl.

The bottling wand does fit just as good into the picnic tap. And here I was thinking I was a genious for thinking of that without you guy's help.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 04-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #346
ltbrewsit
Recipes 

Thanks BM, I'm getting parts for a BMBF today. One question I couldn't answer after looking through 80% of the thread... a homebrew buddy (who has a Beer Gun I have borrowed) is convinced that there will be oxidation without purging the bottle with CO2 and has suggested that folks in this thread are not capable of tasting oxidation at those lower levels. Is there an explanation I can give him? It sounds like several posters have experience on bottle filler lines at microbreweries... do the microbreweries purge before filling? Is the initial exposure to oxygen at the bottom of the bottle going to bring oxidation into the beer. I'm a newby and he has brewed several hundred of batches over 15 years so I need some support.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #347
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltbrewsit View Post
Thanks BM, I'm getting parts for a BMBF today. One question I couldn't answer after looking through 80% of the thread... a homebrew buddy (who has a Beer Gun I have borrowed) is convinced that there will be oxidation without purging the bottle with CO2 and has suggested that folks in this thread are not capable of tasting oxidation at those lower levels. Is there an explanation I can give him? It sounds like several posters have experience on bottle filler lines at microbreweries... do the microbreweries purge before filling? Is the initial exposure to oxygen at the bottom of the bottle going to bring oxidation into the beer. I'm a newby and he has brewed several hundred of batches over 15 years so I need some support.
I have beers that are in excess of 14 months old and they taste great.

Remember that by rocking the bottle just once and waiting for the beer to foam...the O2 is pushed out and then you cap on that CO2 foam.

Any O2 that may be resting in the bottle at the start of the fill is pushed out...plus...with the beer effervescing like it will, an immediate blanket of CO2 will work its way to the surface of the beer and create a barrier.

I'm not saying it can't happen if someone is sloppy, but I've never been dinged for oxygenation, nor ever tasted it in my aged bottles. Though it sounds like a good justification for dropping a $-hunskie on a shiny, fancy gadget.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 04-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #348
ltbrewsit
Recipes 

Yeah, I thought it might be that he has a counterpressure filler and BeerGun in the cellar. Besides, like you said, there should be seriously little 02 contact since the cane goes to the bottom and the co2 would blanket the top of the beer as it rises.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #349
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltbrewsit View Post
Yeah, I thought it might be that he has a counterpressure filler and BeerGun in the cellar. Besides, like you said, there should be seriously little 02 contact since the cane goes to the bottom and the co2 would blanket the top of the beer as it rises.
There is no way you are going to get enough O2 mixed with the beer just from filling a bottle. I doubt i could happen even if you were sloppy. You'd seriously have to shake it up to get the O2 mixed with the beer before capping in order to end up with oxidized beer.

There will be a VERY slight bit of contact with the air when you fill normally, but no more than filling bottles the normal way with a bottling bucket and priming sugar. In fact, much less, since you are then able to let the Co2 in the beer push the oxygen out of the headspace before capping. It's very nearly a fantasy to claim that you will get any noticeable oxidation by not purging first with CO2 IMO.

I just used my BMBF 2 days ago and loved it. So cheap, so easy, and so effective. It's an awesum device!

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #350
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just used mine again last night, this time with 2 epoxy mixers tubes inserted in the 3 feet of 3/16" tubing. It worked even better this go around.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Quick Reply