New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #241
giligson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I love this method. But I have found that I maintain better carbonation and "think" that I get better co2 flushing via foam if I bottle at 10-12psi. You do have to keep a pretty steady hand on the stopper and I use tub to catch the beerfall. In the tub I put a coffee can to support my bottle at a comfortable height so I can work the on/off with my right hand and work the stopper with the left hand.
I generally spill about one to two bottles worth of beer in one corny keg worth of filling.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #242
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

What's the best way to cut the racking cane at a 45 degree angle? A fine tooth hacksaw blade?

Old 11-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #243
Blue_Water
is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I used a hacksaw to get mostly there, then broke off the last little bit by bending with my hands, then smoothed around the edges with an orbital sander.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #244
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by giligson View Post
...and "think" that I get better co2 flushing via foam if I bottle at 10-12psi. You do have to keep a pretty steady hand on the stopper and I use tub to catch the beerfall....
A method I use is to go ahead and use the 4-5 PSI, then top off each bottle just a bit. Then I place caps on each bottle and before I crimp them, I give each bottle a quick tip on its side and back upright (hold the cap on of course) to cause the beer to start foaming up. Then on goes the capper (loosely) and when I hear/see foam coming out of the cap, I crimp it down.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #245
bentonre
Recipes 

I'm looking at making one of these (someday). I had a thought on the air chuck side. Harbor Freight carries these:
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Basically a tire inflator with a bleed valve. I've seen them on sale for about 1/2 price. I was thinking of permanantly attaching it to the inflating needle then you can just use the button to bleed off pressure.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #246
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have read about this and thought it was pure genius... Then, I made one using a carboy stopper which sits on top of the bottle.

Beyond genius!

With this trick, and the rolling portable "kegerator" which is built now for parties, Biermuncher is my hero! And, congrats on the recent article!

I have some beer I need to send you. Bravo!

Old 11-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #247
ISUBrew79
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Storing Bottles Filled Using the BMBF

So I've just bottled some of BierMuncher's OktoberFAST ale from the keg using the BMBF. I plan to give this brew away as Christmas gifts. I am wondering whether or not I can store the bottled beer at room temperature for a while. I'm an apartment dweller and don't have room to store this beer in the fridge for an extended period of time. Basically, what kind of shelf life will this bottled brew have if it isn't refrigerated?

Bottled: Imperial Pumpkin Ale, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

On Tap:
Keg 1: Belgian Table Beer
Keg 2: Belgian Tripel

Old 11-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #248
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUBrew79 View Post
So I've just bottled some of BierMuncher's OktoberFAST ale from the keg using the BMBF. I plan to give this brew away as Christmas gifts. I am wondering whether or not I can store the bottled beer at room temperature for a while. I'm an apartment dweller and don't have room to store this beer in the fridge for an extended period of time. Basically, what kind of shelf life will this bottled brew have if it isn't refrigerated?
If you had complete and thorough fermentation before kegging and chilling, your shelf life is indefinite. I have bottle in the basement that are 10-14 months old and regularly stock my fridge with those.

If you rushed your beer into kegs and then chilled, racking the beer back into to bottles and then storing at room temp can kick up some residual fermentation and cause the beer to get over carbonated over time. I speak from experience.

So if you're patient with your fermentation process and you give the ber plenty of time to condition at room temp, bottle storage at room temp is no problem...even over many months.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 11-24-2008, 12:27 AM   #249
ISUBrew79
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
If you had complete and thorough fermentation before kegging and chilling, your shelf life is indefinite. I have bottle in the basement that are 10-14 months old and regularly stock my fridge with those.

If you rushed your beer into kegs and then chilled, racking the beer back into to bottles and then storing at room temp can kick up some residual fermentation and cause the beer to get over carbonated over time. I speak from experience.

So if you're patient with your fermentation process and you give the ber plenty of time to condition at room temp, bottle storage at room temp is no problem...even over many months.
This was the OktoberFAST ale. It spent 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary prior to kegging. The OG was 1.056 and the FG was 1.011, for 80% attenuation, fermented with WLP001 Cali Ale yeast. I think it attenuated fully, especially given the extra 1/2 pound of Carapils in the grain bill. Hopefully overcarbonation in the bottles will not be a problem.

Thanks for your reply, BierMuncher!
Bottled: Imperial Pumpkin Ale, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

On Tap:
Keg 1: Belgian Table Beer
Keg 2: Belgian Tripel

Old 11-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #250
planenut
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just used the BMBF for the first time. Bottled a case of beer to take to a party.

Worked really well!

12 o BM's Brown ale
6 IPA
6 Pale ale

Thanks BM!

On Tap - Pale Ale, Centiennal Blonde
Primary - Dry Irish Stout, Dead Guy Ale, Mild Mannered Ale
Crash Chilling -

Quick Reply