New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 05:49 PM   #201
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by 431brew View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am still bottling with sugar....does force carbing, kegging and then bottling like this eliminate sediment in the bottom of the bottles? thanks.
Yes it does. That's a prime advantage...especially if you're transporting your beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #202
431brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Yes it does. That's a prime advantage...especially if you're transporting your beers.

Thanks, BierMuncher. That is what I thought, but wanted to confirm.

Chris/ 431brew

Drinking:
1. American Premium Lager (on tap)
2. Porter

Keg Conditioning:
Blonde (AHB)

Fermenter #1:
none

Fermenter #2:
none

Old 08-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #203
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

BeirMuncher i just tried this today and i have to say thank you very much for leading a blind man to beer. i bottled a 12 pack and 3 22oz for a ufc party tonight. thank you again.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #204
brewjunky
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This works great I dont even need to put my bottles in the freezer to cool or anything. I just set my regulator to 4 PSI bleed the keg off abit, insert my 3/8 racking cane (14" which I cut off the bend and angles the end) stick it in the plastic faucet and insert it in my bottle with the #2 stopper. I pour untill flow slows then just let some C0@ out by pushing on the stopper.

When I get to the top I pull the racking cane out and top up so foam goes to the top, then cap.

It works great.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #205
mandoman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default competitions?

whew! this is a long thread! but worth every minute. I read it all in search of info regarding using this technique for beers to be entered into competitions. Since I keg I don't want to measure out sugar for 2 12 ounce beers and hope for the best. I read a few mentions of competitions beers using this method that refer to headspace and getting dinged for having too little. Anyone else use this for comp beers and have any stories? Any other concerns? How about timing? i assume the closer to the comp I bottle the beer the better?

Thanks guys for a very helpful thread.

chris

Old 08-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #206
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 862 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Since when is bottle headspace on the BJCP score sheet? The judging should begin after the pour.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-24-2008, 05:40 PM   #207
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Since when is bottle headspace on the BJCP score sheet? The judging should begin after the pour.
There isn't any score associated with it, but they have the bottle inspection and comments about it. I've talked to some judges that unfairly already start thinking about a low score when there is too little headspace. Since when bottle conditioning too little or too much really are a big issue.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:35 PM   #208
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoman View Post
... Anyone else use this for comp beers and have any stories? Any other concerns? How about timing? i assume the closer to the comp I bottle the beer the better?
I use this method for all bottling, including competition entries.

My carbonation marks have always been high. My RIS and Haus Pale Ale both placed 2nd and 3rd in a comp this Spring...with the RIS getting honorable mention (4th) in the Best of Show.

I'd recommend that for beers going to a competition, the closer to the comp you bottle, the better.

I've bottled beers too soon, and let them rest at room temperature for several week - and that "warming"effect caused a bit more carbonation in the bottles because I hadn't let them warm condition long enough.

It's amazing how long some small residual production of CO2 goes on, even after you're sure the beer has fermented out. So unless you let your beer have 3-5 weeks of room room temperature fermentation before kegging, bottle close to the competition date and store them cold.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 08-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #209
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoman View Post
I read a few mentions of competitions beers using this method that refer to headspace and getting dinged for having too little. Anyone else use this for comp beers and have any stories? Any other concerns? How about timing? i assume the closer to the comp I bottle the beer the better?
I have used this method for bottling beers going to competitions. One of the beers even took second place in the first round of the nationals. There was not mention of any problems with fill on any of the three bottles I sent.

When filling and bottle conditioning, the recommendation is to fill all the way to the top and let the head space be equal to the amount of liquid displaced by the bottling wand. This is essentially what is being done here, if you fill to where liquid is coming out the top, when you pull the racking cane out the amount of liquid it displaced leaves the perfect amount of head space. This also gives you a very consistent fill level.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #210
431brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Edit: Moved to new thread.

Chris/ 431brew

Drinking:
1. American Premium Lager (on tap)
2. Porter

Keg Conditioning:
Blonde (AHB)

Fermenter #1:
none

Fermenter #2:
none

Last edited by 431brew; 09-06-2008 at 04:51 AM.

Quick Reply