New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 04:13 AM   #131
JustMrWill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok...thanks for the info!

I went one step simpler. I got 5 feet of 3/16 ID tubing (form Home Depot)...put a ball lock keg connector on one end...and fed the other through a stopper until it reached the bottom of the bottle. I marked the length pulled it back out a few inches and wrapped tape around it to thicken the OD a touch (so it would fit snuggly)...and pushed it back into the stopper.

I held the stopped secure with one hand.

With the other hand, I connected the ball lock to the keg and beer started to flow...it was alittle fast at first...but after an inch or so it slowed to a stop....I then proceeded like suggested (burping to allow some pressure to escape and slowly filling.

When the bottle was almost full...I slowed it to a stop (by letting out less and less pressure)...then I pulled the ball lock connecter off the keg. I moved to the next bottle and repeated.

Worked like a charm! I may invest in a inline valve to shut off the beer in the future...but this will work for now!

-JMW

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #132
kush

Recipes 

Thank you BM for the great idea. Not only have you saved us from a PITA situation but you kept it on a budget. Two thumbs up and a raised glass. Also thanks to bobby for that great vid.

[B]Cheers

Primary: Empty
Secondary #1: Empty
Secondary #2: Empty
Secondary #3: Empty
Keg #1: Empty
Keg #2: Empty
Up Next: Waiting for move....

Old 02-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #133
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've tried this twice now and both times I've ended up with over half a bottle of foam, I'm lucky if there is beer in the neck of the bottle after I'm finished.

I put the bottles in the freezer for a couple days and then hooked up my picnic faucet, dropped the co2 pressure down to about 3psi and then inserted into the bottle and started to fill.

Right away I see more foam than beer in the bottle. Should I be only bleeding off the pressure when the beer stops rising in the bottle? Would this help keep the co2 in the beer?

I'd really like to be able to save a 6er out of each keg to be able to drink later down the road, but I have a feeling that the 12 bottles I've filled so far are filled with flat beer.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #134
JustMrWill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkatuw
Should I be only bleeding off the pressure when the beer stops rising in the bottle? Would this help keep the co2 in the beer?
You need to make a seal with the stopper. The pressure in the bottle should build quickly and stop the beer from flowing....only then do you gently "burp" the stopper....the beer will flow for a couple seconds and then stop when the pressure is up again...repeat until full.

Foam is caused by the change in pressure...that is why you need to get the same pressure in the bottle that you have in the keg.

I did mine at 12 psi...it took a little more effort holding the stopper in place but it wasn't impossible.

I didn't like the picnic tap solution because the spout on the tap is larger than 3/16" and I figure...going form 3/16" to 5/16 (or so) would cause a drop in pressure thus causing more foam.

-JMW

"I know drinking kills brain cells--but only the weak ones "

Old 02-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #135
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkatuw
I've tried this twice now and both times I've ended up with over half a bottle of foam, I'm lucky if there is beer in the neck of the bottle after I'm finished.
Should I be only bleeding off the pressure when the beer stops rising in the bottle? Would this help keep the co2 in the beer?
Are you bleeding the excess pressure from the keg after you turn the PSI down?
Are you using a stopper around the racking cane to control the beer flow?
Did you cut your racking cane at an angle at the bottom to allow easier flow?

The idea is to use the stopper to keep the bottle pressurized, and slow/stop the flow of beer. Then slightly burp the stopper to let the beer continue filling.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:14 PM   #136
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMrWill

I didn't like the picnic tap solution because the spout on the tap is larger than 3/16" and I figure...going form 3/16" to 5/16 (or so) would cause a drop in pressure thus causing more foam.

-JMW
Yeah, but the interior of the racking cane is very close to 1/4". Besides, once the bottle builds a little pressure, it doesn't matter how large the spout is.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 02-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #137
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Default Some Video Testimonial

A few months ago I bottled a twelve pack of some beer that I intentionally skunked in the sun light. (Going for the St. Pauli Girl style).

Some of you may remember...
skunked_2.jpg

Anyway...I tucked away 4-5 of them and decided that this weekend, some 5 months later, to pop one open and enjoy.

I thought I'd demonstrate the effectiveness of the BMBF when it comes to retaining carbonation. Remember, this is nearly 6 months after bottling from the keg.

Notice the still pic below, the sediment that formed in the bottle, verifying my theory that beer bottled from a keg will resume some CO2 production and result in some yeast procreation/sediment.

Notice also the nice lacing on the beer glass in the background.
bmbf_bottle.jpg

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 02-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #138
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Too cool, I take it that you like your DIY wand better than adding carbonation tablets to bottles??

Old 02-03-2008, 11:13 PM   #139
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa FE
Too cool, I take it that you like your DIY wand better than adding carbonation tablets to bottles??
Absolutely. Don't like adding stuff to my beer.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 02-24-2008, 07:44 AM   #140
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

lol, great video

i'm doing one of these this week. my sister's coming to visit and i'd like to send some brew back with her. plus i can enter swaps and give bottles away on the fly, so i don't drink all of them first

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Quick Reply