Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #111
Mike C
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well well well! Seeing as how I'm still buying brew stuff for this ever-growing hobby (I started last June, currently on batch #9), I was probably going to get around to buying a beer gun, and now I don't have to. Thanks so much everyone! Also, I found that vid on YouTube before I saw it posted here. Very well done, explains the concept perfectly.

Since I'm trying to build a small stockpile of homebrew, I've been bottling AND kegging each batch (12 22oz bottles, the rest in the keg) and it's a PITA but I've sort of gotten used to it. The only one I've ever force carbed and not bottled I WISHED I'd had some in bottles because it turned out so great... After a quick trip to the LHBS tomorrow for a clear racking cane and an autosiphon, I think I'll be force carbing a lot more often.

Thanks so much for this. Great forum, btw!

Cheers~

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #112
SAS98M
Recipes 

BierMuncher YOU ROCK I assembled one of these(didn't use the valved filler tube though as I asked about in a prior thread) and tryed it out...

This thing is slicker than whale snot-I mean it...... froze the bottles,turned the keg psi down and filled away,no waste-no fuss, had a six filled in just over 5 mins. then capped and hauled.
Best part is I took the six to my 85yr.old grandmother in Md. whom hasn't drank a homebrew in over 50 years,she pured one out and was amazed with the appearance,the carbonation and the flavor-she couldn't get over the fact the I brewed it.Said my great grandfather used to brew his own beer and that He'd be proud...... Thanks again Bier. Shane

Wine Primaries--
Cider Pimaries--
Beer Primaries--What ??-None !! again ??
Wine secondaries-2010 Clover honey mead,2011 Dandelion wine
Kegged--
Bottled--10'tomato wine,10' Plum,09' Plum
Bottled/Conditioning--Munich Lager brewed winter 06'
On deck(grains in house)--Yooper's "Fat Sam",Bourbon barrel ale
Gone--07 ciders,07dandelion,07plum

BIG DADDY BREWING CO.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:31 AM   #113
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett0424
I stick the bottle filler in my picnic tap
This thread is even more amazing druck.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network
Horseshoot Likes This 
Old 01-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #114
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 577 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS98M
BierMuncher YOU ROCK ... my great grandfather used to brew his own beer and that He'd be proud...... Thanks again Bier. Shane
Spread the wealth...

Old 01-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #115
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is this worth doing for very near term consumption? Say filling a sixer to take to the parents for the weekend or a friends for the night? Or is it just as easy to fill a bottle right from the tap.

I was thinking of getting a couple growlers or a 6 pack or two of swing top bottles to do this with.

It also seems to me like you could be a little less concerned with the sanitizing and just use clean dry bottles. Is that true or will even a very short period inside an unsanitized bottle ruin the beer?

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 01-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #116
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnio
Is this worth doing for very near term consumption? Say filling a sixer to take to the parents for the weekend or a friends for the night? Or is it just as easy to fill a bottle right from the tap.
Whatever CO2 is in the bottle when you seal it is all there's ever going to be. If you fill from the tap directly, you're likely to lose quite a bit of carbonation as foam - it's pretty much going to be just as flat the same day as it will several weeks down the road. There are ways to minimize and/or compensate for the loss - that's pretty much exactly what the BMBF does.

The BMBF will help you just as much whether you're planning to drink it the same day, or store it for weeks or months. You're right, you don't need to do much by way of sanitization if you're going to be drinking the beer within a couple of days (as long as everything's CLEAN at least), which will cut down a bit on the time it takes to bottle.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #117
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 28

For same day or next day consumption when I'm going to be there, I fill up any old PET container off the faucet, purge the air, then recompress it with CO2 using a tire filling valve (schrader) installed in the cap. This holds the carbonation until you open it again.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #118
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 577 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Is this worth doing for very near term consumption? Say filling a sixer to take to the parents for the weekend or a friends for the night?...
I always fill more than I think I'll need and more often than not, end up bringing a few bottles home and tossing them in the fridge. That's why I'd hesitate to do a tap-direct fill. Any spare bottles will need to be disposed of pretty quickly.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 01-09-2008, 11:17 PM   #119
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's a good point Bier -- I was thinking of putting a hose that is big enough to fit over the tap and put that at the bottom of whatever container I am filling and use that...I might as well just not be cheap and spend the couple bucks to do this.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 01-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #120
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
That's a good point Bier -- I was thinking of putting a hose that is big enough to fit over the tap and put that at the bottom of whatever container I am filling and use that...I might as well just not be cheap and spend the couple bucks to do this.
Yeah, I tried that method exactly once. Some people may get better results, but I got lots of foam and some very flat beer. I'm sure that with some tweaking I could have gotten it to work a bit better, but I'd much rather just invest the small amount of extra time and just use the BMBF which is practically foolproof.

Quick Reply