New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #1031
reuliss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3000
I have been getting some oxidation in my last batch after using this method. It was fine for a few weeks but then all of a sudden it turned.

Anybody else have this issue?
Nope. Important to cap on foam.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #1032
BeervanaPDX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrockpd View Post
I know this is a very old thread and I can't read all 103 pages, but on page one someone said that you might lose carbonation after about a week using this method. In the video below it would seem that the bottle is pretty well carbonated as it actually stopped the flow of the brew for a bit. This seems like a similar method so I wonder is this method any different from the one on the original page and if not will bottling the "poor man's" way lose carbonation after a week or so?
the method on page one and in the video should not loose carb. I just opened a bottle yesterday that was 60days in fridge and the carb was great.
The video is basically showing you the method described on page one. although it is a good video he does not show you to completion since he is using a clear wine bottle. the video is missing the neck fill and cap.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #1033
jwible204
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been using this method since 2010 and have bottles that are over a year old. No oxidation, ever, it works flawlessly if you cap on foam. It works so well I am reluctant to buy the Blichmann beer gun, if it aint broke don't fix it.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #1034
MuddyCreek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 108

um... subbed

Now Serving:

Conditioning: No Paddle Amber

On Deck: Muddy Creek Chocolate Stout

Old 09-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #1035
keezerj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know if this was covered in the thread but wouldn't you need to sanitize the bottles first? It said to either put the bottles in the freezer or just rinse them off to get them cold. Is that ok or should they be sanitized right before bottling because the sanitizer would warm them back up?

Old 09-28-2013, 02:49 AM   #1036
reuliss
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by keezerj
I don't know if this was covered in the thread but wouldn't you need to sanitize the bottles first? It said to either put the bottles in the freezer or just rinse them off to get them cold. Is that ok or should they be sanitized right before bottling because the sanitizer would warm them back up?
Make a star Stan solution and fill the bottles with them and stash them in the back of your fridge.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #1037
mike_in_winchester
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keezerj
I use ice as part of the water in my Star San, it gets/keeps the bottles quite cold.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #1038
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts

or use platic wrap and an elastic over the bottle top before fridging them.

I usually use plastic bottles; so not a problem.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Old 10-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #1039
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

This is a repost from another thread, but I've been meaning to post my method here in this thread for a while now.

Anyway, I have the benefit of working in the CEMS industry and have access to some awesome 3/8" PFA tubing. It's way better than plastic racking canes or standard 3/8" beer hose because it's incredibly stiff and can hold a shape, but is still bendable and creates an asstight seal in a cobra tap. I cut mine into about 12-16" sections and cut an angle at one end. I jam the straight cut end into my cobra tap and slip a #2 bung over the tube and then the angle notched side goes down into any 12 or 22oz bottle and I fill 'er up, taking care to "burp" off excess CO2 with the bung. My bottles last FOREVER and it also works great with growlers if you have the right size bung.

When I first started kegging, I built a Blichmann Beergun clone out of spare SS swagelok fittings lying around our shop. It's a serious looking beergun and has two thumb valves going to a T which feeds across a needle valve (CO2 bleedoff) and down into a 1' section of SS tubing. I used it a couple times and it produces the same results as my buddy's beergun, but the PFA tubing method works just as well and I can bottle up a six-pack in under 3 minutes on my way out the door to a friend's house. Needless to say, the $150 or so of swagelok fittings are now just a fancy shiny paperweight in my brewbox.

We just cleaned up our shop (Company President is coming for a visit) and now I have a whole mess of 3/8" PFA scrap pieces that are just begging to be made into ghetto beerguns. People can PM me if they want some. Just provide your own #2 bung and cobra tap hooked up to a keg and you're all set.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #1040
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bottled 24, and am now storing at room temp 72F
How long will these stay good and (fresh) ?

Quick Reply