The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #1021
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 738 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 1237

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuliss View Post
So, this method rocks. Here's my question, though. Once you're done and you disconnect it from keg, how in the heck to you get liquid in this hose to clean it?? The little nub that pushes down the poppet must be depressed in order to allow air and liquid to flow, but how can you do that when its not on the keg?

This one confusion aside, though, this is an awesome solution, BM!
Geniz has a simple solution: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-...7/index11.html
linecleaner.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #1022
k_mcarthur
Yeast Whisperer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm a newbie to all of this but I've only kegged up until now, figured it would be the easiest route. Now I do three different kinds and cornies are hard to find now. So I decided to bottle what I have in the keg to make room for the next batch. This method worked great for me first time. Best idea ever.

Give a man a beer and he wastes an hour, teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #1023
reuliss
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRatBrewer
This is perfect!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:00 AM   #1024
newbies13
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepcg6 View Post
Hey everyone,

I've been following this thread for awhile now, and I see some people with fantastic success in bottling from the keg with this method.

Unfortunately, I'm not having that same success. It's really frustrating and I ask for your help before I purchase a beer gun. You guys are my last hope!

I've followed all these instructions and recommendations exactly. I have 10 feet of tubing that connects my beer out to the racking cane, made per the instructions. I have my beer carbed to the correct psi, then bled off and bottled at around 3 psi. I sanitize and freeze all bottles tubing, and other bottling parts.

I'm still getting up to half the bottle full of foam!

My beer lines are super foamy when they out of the bottling line...and yet the kegerator itself works fantastically with no issues.
How much foam do you get when you pour normal glasses of beer? With so much foam in the line I would suspect that:
  • You fast forced carbed with agitation, which makes your beer very foamy until it settles.
  • You have a small air hole somewhere in the line that is allowing it to foam.

Both of those should be present regardless of wether you are filling bottles or just pouring a glass though. I am no expert, having only kegged 2 batches myself, but those were some issues I ran into, especially the fast carbing.

3D Blueprint for making your own 10Gal Mash tun

Old 07-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #1025
reuliss
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepcg6
Hey everyone,

I've been following this thread for awhile now, and I see some people with fantastic success in bottling from the keg with this method.

Unfortunately, I'm not having that same success. It's really frustrating and I ask for your help before I purchase a beer gun. You guys are my last hope!

I've followed all these instructions and recommendations exactly. I have 10 feet of tubing that connects my beer out to the racking cane, made per the instructions. I have my beer carbed to the correct psi, then bled off and bottled at around 3 psi. I sanitize and freeze all bottles tubing, and other bottling parts.

I'm still getting up to half the bottle full of foam!

My beer lines are super foamy when they out of the bottling line...and yet the kegerator itself works fantastically with no issues.

I even made a video of my troubles

Video Link: http://youtu.be/SIkVwElE0PE

Please everyone, you're my last hope! Unless I can solve this problem, I'll be purchasing a beer gun. I need to have good consistent bottles for competition, and this method seems to be anything but consistent.

Thanks in advance!
Something is wrong with your ball lock that is disturbing the flow and causing it to foam. Could be the poppet, but if you don't have issues when it's hooked up to the tap, I would try a different ball lock.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #1026
brewpood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I did this last night to bottle about 4 gallons from a keg. It worked well, except that I kept letting the bottles overflow. Should be better next time. Thanks!

Last edited by brewpood; 08-07-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Answered my own questions

Old 08-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #1027
brewpood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Oops! My beer had been overcarbed in the keg, and I must have let out too much CO2 before I bottled, or my technique with the gun was bad. Fail! My bottles now have 0 carbonation.

What are my options here? Let it sit for 3 weeks and see if it carbs in the bottle? Re-prime and re-bottle? Or give up on this batch, which has taught me a lot as a newbie but isn't the brew I was hoping for?
Thanks!

Old 08-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #1028
newbies13
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I don't know how you could go from over carbed to zero carb in a couple of days unless your caps were really leaky. Either way if there is no carbonation left, I would just try and prime them with sugar and recap, oxidization may be an issue, but can't hurt to try.

3D Blueprint for making your own 10Gal Mash tun

Old 08-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #1029
njrockpd
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I know this is a very old thread and I can't read all 103 pages, but on page one someone said that you might lose carbonation after about a week using this method. In the video below it would seem that the bottle is pretty well carbonated as it actually stopped the flow of the brew for a bit. This seems like a similar method so I wonder is this method any different from the one on the original page and if not will bottling the "poor man's" way lose carbonation after a week or so?

Old 08-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #1030
bob3000
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have been getting some oxidation in my last batch after using this method. It was fine for a few weeks but then all of a sudden it turned.

Anybody else have this issue?

Quick Reply