Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 AM   #1001
eluterio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Ive got a question that probably has been answered somewhere.

If you have 12 psi in 44 degree keg sitting in a fridge and you decided you wanted to bottle it a few. I use this method and fill your bottle up why is it my bottles are always flat. I have yet to get one that ends up with the nice sound of a carb bottle? What could I be doing wrong that causes his?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #1002
Aunt_Ester
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Dudes. So I've used this technique with unbelievable success. Filling growlers and sixers for that night out with friends. But I don't find it particularly sanitary, what with the grimy picnic tap and all. Do you guys ever use this technique for long-term storage? I'd like to do this for competitions so the beers are nice and bright, but I don't trust the tap and lines to keep the beer fresh for the interim between entry deadlines and the competition.

Tips? Tricks?

Old 06-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #1003
RoundKid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt_Ester
Dudes. So I've used this technique with unbelievable success. Filling growlers and sixers for that night out with friends. But I don't find it particularly sanitary, what with the grimy picnic tap and all. Do you guys ever use this technique for long-term storage? I'd like to do this for competitions so the beers are nice and bright, but I don't trust the tap and lines to keep the beer fresh for the interim between entry deadlines and the competition.

Tips? Tricks?
If you are concerned, why not just use a clean and freshly sanitized picnic tap? They break down for cleaning easily.

However, in my experience, I have kept bottles for 2+ months without issue. Beer tasted the same from the bottle as the beer side by side from the keg.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #1004
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluterio View Post
Ive got a question that probably has been answered somewhere.
If you have 12 psi in 44 degree keg sitting in a fridge and you decided you wanted to bottle it a few. I use this method and fill your bottle up why is it my bottles are always flat. I have yet to get one that ends up with the nice sound of a carb bottle? What could I be doing wrong that causes his?
Keep in mind that you lose a fraction of carbonation during bottling in between the time you pull the trigger and actually seal the cap on.
Make sure you're filling one bottle then capping it immediately, don't fill several bottles then cap like some people do. (This will also help with carbonation consistency.)
Also, 12psi @ 44F results in 2.3 volumes, which, depending on beer style, could be a little flat to begin with. I carb to about 3 volumes (20psi @ 44F) minimum for all beers, and up to 3.5 for some.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #1005
eluterio
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasontheBeaver View Post
Keep in mind that you lose a fraction of carbonation during bottling in between the time you pull the trigger and actually seal the cap on.
Make sure you're filling one bottle then capping it immediately, don't fill several bottles then cap like some people do. (This will also help with carbonation consistency.)
Also, 12psi @ 44F results in 2.3 volumes, which, depending on beer style, could be a little flat to begin with. I carb to about 3 volumes (20psi @ 44F) minimum for all beers, and up to 3.5 for some.
I have an issue with having it that high i usually get nothing but foam. I have a 2 tap tower that it appears dont have an adjustable tap. Cpuld this be my problem?

Also thanks for the info

Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #1006
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluterio View Post
I have an issue with having it that high i usually get nothing but foam. I have a 2 tap tower that it appears dont have an adjustable tap. Cpuld this be my problem?
Also thanks for the info
Have you addressed your beer line length and size? Longer lengths and smaller diameters will increase resistance and slow the flow of beer, preserving carbonation. Or you can insert epoxy mixers into your keg's out tube.
Search around for threads that address these issues.
I had to do the same thing before I got it all right.
Good luck!

Old 06-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #1007
eluterio
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasontheBeaver View Post
Have you addressed your beer line length and size? Longer lengths and smaller diameters will increase resistance and slow the flow of beer, preserving carbonation. Or you can insert epoxy mixers into your keg's out tube.
Search around for threads that address these issues.
I had to do the same thing before I got it all right.
Good luck!
8 foot line for beer gun 5 for tap. I might just have to increase it to about 7. Damn more research gpt to love home brewing.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #1008
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Try this thread:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure...oubles-100151/

"Homebrewing to cut costs on my obsessive tailgating habit."
Car Detailing, Headlight Restoration, Windshield Chip Repair, Odor Removal, Engine Steam Cleaning all in Beaverton, Portland, OR

Old 06-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #1009
bob3000
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

works for me

Old 06-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #1010
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt_Ester View Post

Tips? Tricks?
I have very old bottles done with this method. The CO2 and alcohol keep most things at bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply