Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Ways to carbonate a keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
dyennie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Default Ways to carbonate a keg

Brand new to home brewing and kegging and would like to know the different ways to carbonate the beer.

Thanks

Doug

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Aside from bulk priming (treating the keg like one big bottle) there is this:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-force-carbing-methods-illustrated-73328/

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The best method for keg carbing is to put the keg under pressure in your kegerator and leave it alone for a couple weeks. I don't subscribe to any of the quick carb methods of rolling or shaking a keg under pressure, they ALWAYS overcarb.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:12 AM   #4
dyennie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

So if I bulk primed (treated like one big bottle) how would the CO2 (from a bottle) I put on the keg affect it??? Could it over carb that way or would the CO2 (from the bottle) just be there to to push the beer out of the keg????

If using the set and forget method I would just set my regulator to the PSI I would serve with and let it sit for weeks to carbonate???

Thanks
Doug

Old 07-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
The best method for keg carbing is to put the keg under pressure in your kegerator and leave it alone for a couple weeks. I don't subscribe to any of the quick carb methods of rolling or shaking a keg under pressure, they ALWAYS overcarb.
No, they don't always overcarb if done correctly.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
heferly
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

With co2, tried and true is to set it and forget it at serving psi for 3 weeks or so...what i do is purge the keg after racking, and leave it at 30 psi for 48 hrs, then purge and set to serving pressure for a few more days...works great for me and a few others who regularly carb this way

Old 07-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3208 Times on 3112 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyennie View Post
So if I bulk primed (treated like one big bottle) how would the CO2 (from a bottle) I put on the keg affect it??? Could it over carb that way or would the CO2 (from the bottle) just be there to to push the beer out of the keg????
If you bulk prime you wouldn't put it on the gas until it was done carbonating. When doing this it's always best to undercarb slightly since that's way easier to fix than an overcarbed keg. Once it's done carbonating at room temp, you would chill it and put it on the gas at serving pressure. It will be ready to drink pretty much immediately, and any difference between the carbonation level in the keg and the carbonation level that corresponds to the serving pressure will balance out over a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyennie View Post
If using the set and forget method I would just set my regulator to the PSI I would serve with and let it sit for weeks to carbonate???

Thanks
Doug
Yep. Use a carbonation chart like this one to figure out the serving pressure for your desired level of carbonation, then set it and forget it for 10-14 days. This is the easiest and most foolproof method IMO, but also takes longer than the "burst carbing" methods.

Quick Reply