New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > waxing beer bottle caps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 01:28 AM   #51
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

OH YEAH.. use a deeper rather than a wider pan or whatever to melt the wax in. The look is much better if you get the wax further down the neck of the bottle rather than just barely covering the cap.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #52
Moratorium
Recipes 

I would agree that the LHBS wax is better and far more efficient for the purpose of functional waxing. I was toying with the idea of not doing this at all but thought I would "play" with it. Worked out well and looks great. Maybe the next time I will do this the right way but this suited my purposes this time. Either way, good practice. Thanks for the tips!

Always a pleasure, never a cover!

Old 11-28-2011, 04:30 AM   #53
bhaff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Other than dressing up the presentation there isn't any reason to do it. I also agree with just using the wax from your LHBS since it is really easy to clean and peel off the bottle. I also suggest to dipping too soon or too hot. On my first attempt bottles I dipped before everything was nice and melted have lots of air bubbles in the final product and bottles dipped once the wax was really hot didn't coat will and needed several dips.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #54
Moratorium
Recipes 

These turned our great for Christmas presents this year. A favorite for the family.

Last edited by Moratorium; 01-12-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #55
jesse55lv
Droogie Numero Uno
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I've been waxing the tops of my beers for the last 6 batches now. I wouldn't say that it neccesarily serves any functional purpose (though it certainly makes sure there is a great seal).

I do it for several reasons.

1 - I haven't gotten around to making labels for my beers, because I don't like the idea of having to peel them off again. Using different colors of wax allows me to know which beer is which.

2 - It makes getting the beer open take a little bit longer, and requires a certain skill due to the wax formula I use. Some might say this is idiocy, but nothing irks me more than someone drinking a brew I've spent time and energy on without even realizing it's homemade.

3 - I enjoy artsy stuff. So, yeah, dipping things in hot wax is right up my alley.

When I decided to do this I scoured the interwebs for advice, and there isn't much out there. Buying wax for dipping is probably the easy thing to do, but I like to make things myself so I can up with my own recipe. Here is what I came up with that works well for me.

I use a large tin (one for whole peeled tomatos) and melt 10 crayons in it, a quarter lb of parafin wax, and a whole bunch of hot glue sticks. This gives me great color, a nice shine, and tough so that it is difficult, but not impossible to get off the beer cap. Get the mixture good and hot on the stove at medium heat. Take the capped bottle, dip it in, give it a quarter turn while in the wax, lift it out and spin it so it doesn't drip, and finally bang it on the counter a few times (you'll need some padding so you don't smash your bottle). The banging on the counter helps to get really dramatic drips of wax.

If you let the mixture heat up sufficiently, it runs thin enough that the bottle cap can be popped off with a opener.

Best of luck.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #56
jesse55lv
Droogie Numero Uno
Recipes 

Also, because I want to do minimal work, I leave the old wax on the bottles unless it peels off easily. This leads to some interesting color combinations.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #57
JoesInBoston
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Waxed my bottles yesterday. I tilted the can of wax while dipping the bottom in and it gives a nice slant to the wax on the bottle.

Oh, and since it was a pumpkin ale, I added some cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice to the wax to scent it. Wax smells pretty good!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #58
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse55lv View Post

I use a large tin (one for whole peeled tomatos) and melt 10 crayons in it, a quarter lb of parafin wax, and a whole bunch of hot glue sticks.
Where can you buy a bunch of the same colored crayons, I always see them in assorted boxes?

When you say a whole bunch of glue sticks...about how many is that to this ratio of crayons/wax?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #59
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbehr View Post
Where can you buy a bunch of the same colored crayons, I always see them in assorted boxes?

When you say a whole bunch of glue sticks...about how many is that to this ratio of crayons/wax?
To answer your first question: http://www.crayolastore.com/custom_box.do#back

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Old 10-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #60
jesse55lv
Droogie Numero Uno
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbehr View Post

So I ordered a huge box of crayons for Dick Blick arts supplies. It was a box of 800 crayons, 100 each of 8 basic colors. I will admit this was overkill, and I now have more crayons than I'll ever need (especially since I re-use the caps).

In terms of glue sticks, I keep adding them until the can is about 3/4 full. I'd guess it is 10 or so large glue sticks (the 10 inch variety). This is a judgement call, and of the many times I've done it I usually just top off what I have with some more glue sticks (since I'm often re-melting previous batches).

Another pro-tip, get a piece of twine about 8-10 inches long, wrap it around the underside of the cap so that it goes over itself and then dip the bottle while holding the end of the twine to the bottle. This way when it hardens, you can get the wax off easily without wielding a knife. I'll post some photos of the procedure when I get home. This was a MAJOR improvement since it both looks awesome and makes the bottles easy to open.

Quick Reply