Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > waxing beer bottle caps?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #21
camiller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Ok so I just spent an inordinate amount of time looking up how to make bottle sealing wax (or just sealing wax). Lots of talk of shellac/beeswax/rosin etc that would be cool to get in to, but expensive.

When looking at people doing seals on letters, a lot will use colored hot glue. I'm thinking of buying a pack of hot-glue sticks, either colored or color it myself and give it a shot with bottles. I'm hoping it will stick OK and look great but not be too hard to peal off.... Or I could just buy the bottle wax the sell at the homebrew shops.
Interestingly, Makers Mark sent me a letter sealing kit for Christmas with a wax stick like a candle, and a little doohickey to press the logo into the wax. I love being on their Christmas list. Knob Creek sent me a ice cube tray that makes ice cubes in the shape of knob creek bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #22
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Ok so I just spent an inordinate amount of time looking up how to make bottle sealing wax (or just sealing wax). Lots of talk of shellac/beeswax/rosin etc that would be cool to get in to, but expensive.

When looking at people doing seals on letters, a lot will use colored hot glue. I'm thinking of buying a pack of hot-glue sticks, either colored or color it myself and give it a shot with bottles. I'm hoping it will stick OK and look great but not be too hard to peal off.... Or I could just buy the bottle wax the sell at the homebrew shops.
Have you, or has anyone else tried this process at all? I'd be very interested to know how it turned out, and if you have any recommendations. I'm going to make a Christmas Brew and I'd like to bottle and label it very nicely, then wax the bottle cap. Ideally, the wax would look identical to the Maker's Mark bottle, but I'm willing to bet that their process is pretty well controlled, and may be very difficult to duplicate.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #23
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The wax dipped bottles from Deschutes are cool, but the wax is a total PAIN to get off to open the bottle.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 07-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #24
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I went looking for hot glue sticks today. I did find crayons, I plan on throwing crayons in while I'm melting the glue sticks, I think this will give me good color and get me closer to the consistency I found on the Dark Lord bottle I opened. It didn't stick to the glass much when I peeled it off the bottle. It bent some but did break when bent at about a 90 degree angle. I'll add some more wax to the mix during testing.

I couldn't find glue sticks at Target, but they had 24 packs of crayons for 30 cents each I figure I may need more than one crayon of each color so I got 4 packs. I plan to brew up Graff tonight, so if I have extra time I can test this on a few bottles of something.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #25
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a couple beers coming up soon that I would like to do this too and I am very interested to hear your results. Those beads from the homebrew vendors are pretty expensive.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #26
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Can't for the life of me remember what it was, but I remember opening a wax sealed beer bottle that had a small wooden disk with some letters or a logo...maybe the year? branded into it and pressed into the wax while it was still warm. The effect, you can imagine, was very cool.

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 07-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #27
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Did some experiments with my idea to use hot glue
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/hot-...5/#post1425378

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 07-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #28
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Just checked out the above thread, VERY COOL! Thanks again!

All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment

Old 07-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #29
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
thanks for updating this thread. I want to bottle a 12pack and dip them now, just so i can make people go OooOO when i give them a bottle.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #30
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks guys! It was a fun experiment, just wish I'd gone to direct flame sooner, 2 hours of boiling water was annoying.

Quick Reply