Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Want to start kegging...Couple Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
bigben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Want to start kegging...Couple Questions

I want to start kegging my beer. I have a few questions though.

I've been reading a lot lately that people aren't using secondary fermentors as much anymore. So, that got me thinking...if I start kegging, my beer would just be in the primary for about 3-4 weeks, then right to the keg...

Is the beer aged enough at that point. Or do you just start drinking it and it ages in the keg? With my bottles, they really taste the best after about 6 weeks, using the 1-2-3 method.

But anyway, I was just thinking that I could be enjoying my beer a LOT quicker if I skip the secondary and start kegging.

Also, as for dry hopping goes, can you dry hop in the primary? Say after a week, or when most of the fermentation is done, can you dry hop then? Or is it better to just use a secondary?

Thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

You would be able to drink your beer as soon as it's carbonated but no matter what it will get better with at least 3 weeks aging in the keg. Try your process and taste a beer every week and decide for yourself how long you want it to condition in the keg.
If you are going to dry hop I would suggest racking the beer to a secondary containing the hops.
Edit: You can also dry hop right into the keg using a hop sock.

Cheers,
Rich

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply