Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Want to keg my beer, 1 problem/question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
JBrady
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Want to keg my beer, 1 problem/question

Hello I am 2 brews into my home brew career and I want to start using my kegging setup for this second brew now that i feel I have enough of the brewing process figured out. Ive had a full corny setup all the way from the keg co2 regulators etc etc. I haven't cleaned the keg since buying it so I figured i would take it outside and clean it along with all my brewing equipment from yesterdays brewing session. I followed another post on here and put a little starsan in the keg filled it with water and put the cap on, then I agitated it like the post said but when i turned it upside down it leaked bad, so I undid the lid and redone it thinking maybe i just made a bad seal, but I got the same results, it was not water tight at all. Its a reconditioned keg with a brand new o ring. The way Im thinking if its not water tight its not going to be air tight. Right? Or Wrong? Please help, Im not sure if I should try to use this keg or not when i beer is ready to come out of the fermenter next week. thanks for any info.

Bottled: Janet's Brown, Session Dry Stout, Yellow Fly Cream Ale

Gallons Brewed In 2011-40

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 434 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Can you tell where it's leaking from?? Is it leaking from one of the posts or from the lid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
JBrady
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

it was definitely from the lid, but one of the posts looked like it was leaking a little too

Old 08-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
stever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Mine will not make a tight seal unless I use keg lube and pressurize it. If you don't have keg lube, get some because you will need it.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but Great Cock man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
yeah, i've got big balls

Old 08-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
pahiker6
Recipes 

Because you reseated the lid, I'm guessing the lid leaked. The lids on corny kegs usually do not seat properly (and form a good seal) until they are put under pressure. Refill the keg w/ water, put about 20lbs of CO2 into the keg, then try inverting again. Actually you won't need to invert the keg at that point. If you have 20lbs of CO2 pressure, you will be able to hear the air leak from the keg. You can isolate the leak by spraying some soapy water (or a mix of water and Star San) from a spray bottle onto the lid and posts.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
JBrady
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

damn i don't want to chance messing this brew up, its only me second and I can feel that its going to be way better than my first. Maybe I should stick to bottling for awhile. If i do use the keg i will for sure get some of that keg lube that your talking about

Old 08-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
JBrady
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'll try that right now PAHiker, that will be good practice for me anyways being that I have never tried using a keg setup, let alone pressure one

Old 08-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

One question & a few thoughts:

Was the keg pressurized before you opened it? Most sellers have some gas in their kegs to demonstrate that they are gas tight. If you had any gas in the keg, you can rule out that you "created" a new leak.

Anytime I buy a new keg, I immediately mark the lid with a sharpie so I know the original orientation of the lid. Sometimes if you reverse a lids direction, it does not seat properly.

Keg lube (and lots of it) is as necessary to kegging as yeast is to brewing. If you don't have keg lube, use mineral oil from the grocery store.

Pressurizing the keg is necessary to see if you have a tight seal.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 08-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrady View Post
damn i don't want to chance messing this brew up, its only me second and I can feel that its going to be way better than my first. Maybe I should stick to bottling for awhile. If i do use the keg i will for sure get some of that keg lube that your talking about
Oh, this is not a problem! We all have issues with the lid leaking until it's put under pressure. If one of the posts is leaking, though, that may also need a new oring. Take it apart, and clean it well. Then, put it back together, put the water in it, add some co2, and then spray with a star san solution. You can see where it's leaking. Once you add the co2, though, that tends to seal it up.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #10
JBrady
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Hey if I air test it I shouldn't have to use water at all huh? I have dual gauge regulators, I can bring it up to 20 pounds, shut the air flow off and the the pressure gauge should tell me if there is a leak right? Just like testing my Oxygen Acetelyne torch setups for leaks at work right?

Quick Reply