The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Vintage Kelvinator freezer restoration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #11
Flyin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not sure what kind of insulation would be in there, thats OOOLLLDDD. I'd probably wear some kind of dust mask just to be safe.

You plan to keep the stock guts? If it ever dies you might be able to adapt the guts of a modern dorm fridge into the old shell. If nothing else that should save some $$ on your electric bill.

Cool project. You don't see many (any) old appliances get restored.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #12
89OctaneStang
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

I plan to wear gloves, mask, and some eye protection while I am removing all the insulation.

Not sure about the stock guts. I looked to see if I could take off the outer shell and get to the inside from that perspective but its welded on. So removing anything inside the walls is going to be almost impossible. I'm hoping that I am successful in just getting the insulation out and new insulation back in. I did find that people have posted the average increase in electricity a year for these vintage kegerators was approx $30 - $40. So with putting a better rated insulation inside, it should help keep that increase relatively friendly.

I am not sure how long the compressor will last, but I would like some insight on the parts I can replace, like the electrical unit. This thing is old and I would not be totally comfortable with an old electrical unit in this for the sake of causing a fire. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can get a new electrical unit? Is that what it is even called?

It is an old AC Delco unit that even has the old style two prong electrical chord. Wasn't able to find any info about it online and can not find a part number located on it.

Last edited by 89OctaneStang; 01-14-2010 at 11:57 PM.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #13
89OctaneStang
Recipes 

Found the type of insulation used. It is ALFOL Aluminum Foil fiberglass insulation Type II. No information on whether it contained asbestos but the theory behind its design later showed was not the best performer. Dead air trapped between the double layers of foil above the kraft paper provided a slight increase in the R-value of this product.

So R-25 Fiberglass Insulation found at Lowes for $9.95 should do much better and comes with a good price tag.

~ For this project, I am going to keep a running total of man hours in restoration and total accumulative cost. Just would be neat to see in the end if it was worth it.

*1 hour/$10

Last edited by 89OctaneStang; 01-15-2010 at 02:34 AM.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:55 AM   #14
89OctaneStang
Recipes 

Heres another thing that is going to make replacing the insulation difficult. Hope that it doesn't do this all the way through and it is just at this one spot.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
GroovePuppy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89OctaneStang View Post
I have started a thread on this project so I will be sure to post its final outcome on here when its complete. You can follow my restoration progress here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/vint...ration-157113/
I've subscribed to the thread. Looks like your project is going to be cool when it's all done.

Yet Another Keezer Build

Old 01-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #16
89OctaneStang
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovePuppy View Post
I've subscribed to the thread. Looks like your project is going to be cool when it's all done.
Thanks! I have been wanting to build one and new that it was going to be sooner or later and now that the shell is sitting on my back patio, I can't stop thinking about it and researching everything! Gonna be a long hard road, but fun

Old 01-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #17
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

I moved the discussion posts from the "Kegerator" thread to here to keep the sticky clean.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #18
GroovePuppy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I moved the discussion posts from the "Kegerator" thread to here to keep the sticky clean.
's why I put my kudos post here.

Yet Another Keezer Build

Old 01-16-2010, 05:32 AM   #19
89OctaneStang
Recipes 

Thank you BM! I hope the compilation of information that I gather and create from this thread is helpfull to the next person. As I stated before, there is nothing on the local internet that gives any information to this process. So there is going to be a lot of questions and references placed here within this thread in order to help others and myself complete this type of restoration.

The goal is to complete this project within the next month and to keep the restoration cost under $200. Then I have figured about another $400 for the completion of the system to total $600 and about 48 man hours in time.

Now I know that might be a little more than you would generally put into a kegerator but this is a vintage freezer that will be completely restored. These freezers go for approx $3k online restored. In my opinion, it is worth it to say I have a completely restored vintage collector freezer as a kegerator!

Old 01-16-2010, 05:39 AM   #20
89OctaneStang
Recipes 

[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89OctaneStang View Post
In my opinion, it is worth it to say I have a completely restored vintage collector freezer as a kegerator!
And not to mention, it comes just after the great era of the prohibition. Which really determined which brewery's either went under or kept a float. Our fist contribution to successful breweries during that time will be Blatz Brewery. I have found two tap handles that I will purchase for their contributions. Rather expensive as they are original tap handles, but for the love of beer, It Is Worth It!

Last edited by 89OctaneStang; 01-16-2010 at 05:46 AM.

Quick Reply