Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Very strong beer problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
Roduni
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Very strong beer problem

I have been home brewing for over 20 years and occasionally make a 12- 16% brew by freezing some of the water out of the wort. I have used a nitrogen/carbon dioxide mix in the keg to make an interesting drink. I have had a request to bottle the strong brew. Of course it is not possible to brew CO2 into the 16% wort so I saw the discussions about dry ice and remembered that the widgets in the commercial cans contain a patented N/Co2 mix. Before I start to experiment with CO2 widgets I wondered if anyone has had success in adding dry ice to bottled wort to put the fizz in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
Mikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

'Wort' is before the fermentation takes place. It is 'beer' as soon as the yeast start doing work.

If I understand properly, you are partially freezing the finished beer and removing some of the water to condense the emaing liquid. This is very similar to making a German style Eisbock and is something I do myself at home with similar results.

Since you are familiar with kegging,why don't you force carbonate the beer and bottle it with a counter pressure bottle filler? Works well for me.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roduni
Before I start to experiment with CO2 widgets I wondered if anyone has had success in adding dry ice to bottled wort to put the fizz in.
We talked about this a few months ago and it seems the consensus was that it would be almost impossible to figure out the right amount to use.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Old 10-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
MattD
Recipes 

I was considering bottle carbing with dry ice just a few weeks ago. I decided not to, as it occurs to me that the dry ice would likely sublimate far more quickly than the beer could absorb the gas (unless it was REALLY cold), and therefore all the CO2 would rush to the headspace and blow the bottle into itty bitty pieces of glass shrapnel which would lodge directly into my cornea. If you try it, do so behind a lexan shield

Old 10-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

If you want to put CO2 into a 16% beer, use distiller's yeast and carb-drops. Most brands are good for 22% and some can handle 24%. Since the yeast would be fermenting a very small amount of sugar, there would be no impact on flavor.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-06-2006, 12:31 AM   #6
G. Cretin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I still want to try the dry ice method in corny kegs but I'm a bit scared of that much pressure. I'll get the gear together for it one day and a report will follow.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:46 AM   #7
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Cretin
I still want to try the dry ice method in corny kegs but I'm a bit scared of that much pressure. I'll get the gear together for it one day and a report will follow.
Dry ice shouldnt be screwed with. This topic was brought up several months ago.

Lets say you do try it but lets say MAYBE you put it into a 2 liter diet coke bottle . . . .
Then lets say MAYBE you put it under a bed. . .
Maybe in the dorm of a Firehouse . . .
MAYBE right after lunch when everyone likes to take a nap . . .
MAYBE the bed could have been the bed of that REAL cool Captain ya really like . . .
Of course I wouldnt have video of a hypothetical situation like that but use your imagination
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+ice%2C+bottle

If ya take the lable off it's quieter prior to bursting and if ya dont use water and just use more dry ice it takes longer so the captain MAY have been in a real deep sleep. Even MONTHS later he isnt amused . . . but the rest of us are still laughing like mudderfuggers.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:50 AM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Cornies will crack if they get too cold & dry ice is way below the critical temperature.

About 20 years ago at a Halloween party, the host put a block of dry ice in the bottom of the punch bowl. I think he used too much, as the punch froze solid and then the bowl shattered, and then everything got sticky.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-06-2006, 11:41 AM   #9
Mikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Cornies will crack if they get too cold & dry ice is way below the critical temperature.
Huh? You're saying a stainless steel preesure vessel (like a corny) will 'crack' if it gets too cold? This doesn't make sense.

It might crack if the beer was allowed to freeze, but that isn't the goal here. There would have to be enough dry ice to cool 5 gallons of beer below the freezing point.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:34 AM   #10
Roduni
Recipes 

Thanks - for all your advice - Is there a term for a brewed wort? I have always in ignorance referred to the mixture as wort until it is gassed. I must have had bad yeast because 12% has been when the yeast has stopped fermenting.

Quick Reply