Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Very fine dust-like particles clinging to the inside of the beer bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #11
thehopbandit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beersk View Post
I'm thinking it's yeast, also. Does the beer taste fine? Are you having clarity issues because of this? How long after the beer has been bottled is this showing up? It's not settling out after being in the fridge for a couple days?
The beer tastes good, so I don't think it's really affecting the taste. I notice the particles along the side of the glass in beers that have been bottled for two days and also on beers that have been sitting for 3+ months. I'm really starting to believe the particles are clinging, either statically or physically, to the bottle because I have noticed the bottles that have things like a ring bulge tend to "catch" more particles along that ring. The particles look as fine as if you imagined sprinkling baking flour on a bottle...it's very, very fine.

I never really caught this "problem" until recently, so I'm doing a few tests on letting the beers stay cold for a good amount of time and see if that helps. The problem is that I have noticed some of my beers suffer from chill haze (ie very clear when in the bottle and at room temp but become hazy upon being placed in the fridge). I usually get my wort to pitching temps in under 15 minutes with a wort chiller. I don't use finings, but am a little unsure why I continue to get chill haze.

This particle on the side of the bottle thing is more of a curiosity to me. It would be great to figure out exactly what is causing it/what it is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #12
thehopbandit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So, just an update. I was doing some more searching around the internet and found that someone quoted Charlie Papazian's, "The Homebrewer's Companion", as saying:

"I have sometimes noticed with curiosity a dusting of yeast adhering to one or perhaps all sides of a bottle of bottle-conditioned beer. It was a total mystery to me until I came across a summary of some research Belgian brewers had undertaken to unravel this aberrant behavior. They found that yeast is electrically charged the same as glass and is usually repelled. Sometimes if the yeast is deficient in certain nutrients, it will take on a different charge and become attracted to the sides of the bottle."

So it sounds like static is the most likely case! Now....I wonder what the solution is!

Old 04-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you haven't figured it out by now, it's just yeast guys....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #14
thehopbandit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you haven't figured it out by now, it's just yeast guys....
Thanks for the reply. I think we all mainly established that it was yeast. The question at hand was more along of the lines of why the yeast were doing that. It sounds like static is the most likely case from the info above. As for ways to remedy the situation....

Old 04-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #15
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Hop bandit, my experience is very similar. The particles are very fine and shaking the bottle does not dislodge it. I actually have soaked empties in Oxyclean to get it off because dish liquid soap wasn't enough. I take back what I said about dry hopping, not all my beers with this issue were dry hopped.
Edit: Sorry I missed your post about nutrient deprivation as a cause of this. Most minerals have a charge in solution so that's an easy place to start. I'll have to look at my recipes and see what they may have in common. I don't add minerals but have used different water. I've seen it with both extract and PM.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:03 AM   #16
Chefboubou
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's funny how we sometime think that we go through something alone.... I bottle a belgian wheat beer last week and today I noticed that dust like particles were hanging on the side of my bottles. The static thing makes me realized that last night, while mashing, I noticed that my freshly ground grains were statically charged. Could it be the grains? I recently started crushing my grains with a Victoria mill. How do you crush your grains? I wonder if roller mills do the same?

Old 04-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #17
elpenoso
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I had this issue when I bottled. I kept having problems with off flavors and couldn't pin it to anything in my process. Eventually it led me to suspect that this "yeast dust" was the culprit.
By just washing bottles in the sink and not scrubbing the dust off the sides it was harboring bacteria that would stick around even after being sprayed with star san. My realization of having to scrub and/or soak each bottle every time is what eventually pushed me to buy kegs.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #18
thehopbandit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefboubou View Post
It's funny how we sometime think that we go through something alone.... I bottle a belgian wheat beer last week and today I noticed that dust like particles were hanging on the side of my bottles. The static thing makes me realized that last night, while mashing, I noticed that my freshly ground grains were statically charged. Could it be the grains? I recently started crushing my grains with a Victoria mill. How do you crush your grains? I wonder if roller mills do the same?
Hmm...that could very well contribute to it, but I have been doing extract brews so I can't say for sure. I'm almost positive what I am seeing is yeast particles. It would be nice to know exactly what is causing the static charge, if it is that, so that we could at least try to avoid it. I'm sure it does have some affect on taste since, upon pouring, you'd probably get some of that in the beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpenoso View Post
I had this issue when I bottled. I kept having problems with off flavors and couldn't pin it to anything in my process. Eventually it led me to suspect that this "yeast dust" was the culprit.
By just washing bottles in the sink and not scrubbing the dust off the sides it was harboring bacteria that would stick around even after being sprayed with star san. My realization of having to scrub and/or soak each bottle every time is what eventually pushed me to buy kegs.
I hear you! After bottling a number of batches, kegging looks more and more attractive. Maybe soon...What kind of off flavors were you getting?

Old 04-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
Chefboubou
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In my case, it's not hanging to the wall, but floating near the wall. By rotating slowly the bottle, I see the particles floating. Ths, the static thing makes sense to what I see.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #20
Chefboubou
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here is a pic, it's kind of hard to get a nice shoot at this. I made a short video that makes it easier to see. How could I post a video on HBT?

image-3381560406.jpg  

Quick Reply