New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Very fine dust-like particles clinging to the inside of the beer bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
thehopbandit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Very fine dust-like particles clinging to the inside of the beer bottle

I have done a number of brews now and I have noticed there are very fine, dust-like particles clinging to the side of the beer bottle. At first I thought they would just settle out over time, but they are still there on beers that have been sitting upright for over 3+ months.

Do any of you experience this and what exactly is it? What causes it? My initial guess is that it is either yeast or hop particles. Like I said, they are very small particles and are almost like dust. Why does it never settle? It's like they are statically clung to the bottle.

I run my beers through a metal mesh strainer before going into the primary to remove a majority of the hop sediment. My bottles are meticulously cleaned and sanitized before every bottling.

It was hard to capture a picture of it, but I have included an example. I shined a light through the bottle to highlight the particles.

Any idea on this? Any tips?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I recently had this happen too and in both cases it was with dry hopped beers so I'm suspecting its hop particles but I can't rule out yeast. Rinsing with water didn't get it out of the bottle I opened a few days ago (1st one of that batch which was hoppier than previous batch ) so I soaked in Oxyclean overnight and that worked.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
thehopbandit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgewaterBrewer
I recently had this happen too and in both cases it was with dry hopped beers so I'm suspecting its hop particles but I can't rule out yeast. Rinsing with water didn't get it out of the bottle I opened a few days ago (1st one of that batch which was hoppier than previous batch ) so I soaked in Oxyclean overnight and that worked.
Thanks for the reply. One of my beers was dry hopped, but the others were not. I normally always use pellet hops. However, the sediment on the sides looks more like yeast to me, but I can't say for sure. It definitely comes out of the bottle upon washing, but I just can't figure out why it never settles or what exactly it is.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
bonnybunch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I tend to get this with most of my bottled beers, dry hopped or not. I always assumed it was something yeast related although I carb with table sugar - maybe that has something to do with it?

Old 04-03-2013, 03:02 AM   #5
thehopbandit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnybunch View Post
I tend to get this with most of my bottled beers, dry hopped or not. I always assumed it was something yeast related although I carb with table sugar - maybe that has something to do with it?
I'm getting it on most beers, whether they are dry hopped or not. I use corn sugar to prime. I'm thinking something about the glass or bottle attracts/traps particles more easily along the sides. I'd still like to figure out what exactly it is.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 108

There are 1 or 2 other threads that mention this and I recall someone proposing it being related to static electricity and that sometimes the particles are only on one side of the bottle. I usually bake my bottles to sterilize, what method do you guys use?

Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
thehopbandit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgewaterBrewer
There are 1 or 2 other threads that mention this and I recall someone proposing it being related to static electricity and that sometimes the particles are only on one side of the bottle. I usually bake my bottles to sterilize, what method do you guys use?
I typically soak the bottles in a PBW solution overnight. I'll clean them and rinse them out. On bottling day, I'll make a StarSan solution in the bucket, submerge the bottles for about 30 sec while they soak, drain them, and then store them on the bottle tree.

I'm thinking that it's something along the lines of static charge, too. I have actually noticed the particles are generally on one side of the bottle, like you said. I have no idea what could be causing it, though. Hmm....

Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

After the bottles have done their time carbonating try giving them a few twists before putting them away to condition.

The yeast should break free and settle to the bottom.

bosco

Old 04-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
bigtex52
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've always assumed they were yeast colonies sticking to the microscopic irregularities on the glass surface. (Think glass is smooth? Try rubbing a piece of cellophane over the surface of smooth glass and feel how rough it really is.) +1 on what bosco said.

On Tap: Ruthless Rye Clone
Next Brew Day: Christmas Porter

Old 04-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
beersk
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex52 View Post
I've always assumed they were yeast colonies sticking to the microscopic irregularities on the glass surface. (Think glass is smooth? Try rubbing a piece of cellophane over the surface of smooth glass and feel how rough it really is.) +1 on what bosco said.
I'm thinking it's yeast, also. Does the beer taste fine? Are you having clarity issues because of this? How long after the beer has been bottled is this showing up? It's not settling out after being in the fridge for a couple days?

Quick Reply