Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Using Sanke Kegs For Homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 05:00 AM   #11
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I'm just starting to use kegs for dispensing my home brew. But, I've been fermenting in kegs for several batches now. LOVE fermenting in them. Not sure what I'll serve in when I setup the keezer (a way's off) but I could go either route. I have four 1/6 bbl Sanke kegs that I could dispense from IF I needed to. But for the fridge I'm using 2.5 and 3 gallon corny kegs fit really well. I can get four kegs in this way, where I would only get two 1/6 bbl kegs in otherwise.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
MWALSH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey guys. I am new to the sanke kegging system. can you force carbonate these kegs the same as you can a corney?

Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #13
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 544 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWALSH View Post
Hey guys. I am new to the sanke kegging system. can you force carbonate these kegs the same as you can a corney?

Yes, carbing is exactly the same...just put it on the gas and the beer carbs, the higher the pressure the faster...cheers!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
MWALSH
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Yes, carbing is exactly the same...just put it on the gas and the beer carbs, the higher the pressure the faster...cheers!
So are you saying that i need to just pressurize the keg and then take it off the co2 to let it carbonate with age; or do you leave it hooked up to the co2 at that pressure?

Old 12-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #15
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWALSH View Post
So are you saying that i need to just pressurize the keg and then take it off the co2 to let it carbonate with age; or do you leave it hooked up to the co2 at that pressure?
You leave it on the gas feed to carbonate, just like you would a corny keg.

IME, it's easier to take apart a corny keg than a sanke keg. With the sanke, you have the retention ring holding the valve/spear in. then you can't easily take the spear apart to clean/maintain it (there's a reason why places offer that as a paid service). Each coupler you'll need for each keg on tap also costs more than the pair of QD's you use for corny kegs.

Personally, I'd rather ferment in the sanke kegs than serve out of them.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #16
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Every sanke thread that comes up, I keep asking in hopes of finding a secret resource ... where are you guys legally getting your kegs? I know Geemacher and Gopher Kegs will sell small qty. I heard some breweries will sell you kegs from their stock, but no one in my area has taken me up on that yet. Anyone else have a source?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #17
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k View Post
Every sanke thread that comes up, I keep asking in hopes of finding a secret resource ... where are you guys legally getting your kegs? I know Geemacher and Gopher Kegs will sell small qty. I heard some breweries will sell you kegs from their stock, but no one in my area has taken me up on that yet. Anyone else have a source?
Start calling/visiting scrap yards, recycle centers, etc. I know a person that gets them from the recycle center the distributors/breweries use in this area. Supply can fluctuate as can the prices, but at least I know they're legit kegs. I have another tall pony on it's way from a recycle center. I've asked that they let me know when they get more in, so that I can get first crack at them. I've given them the sizes I desire most, so we're good there.

IF you get a good size group together, you could order a pallet load from Geemacher. You just need to get delivery to a location with a loading dock. I've looked into that before, and just couldn't get enough people together, and get a delivery location, to get it to work. I'd love to at some point though.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 12-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #18
MWALSH
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k View Post
I got mine from a scrap metal depot! They had bins of them.... They just sell them for the weight of the stainless! If they don't sell they get chopped up and sold as scrap.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #19
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Stout Tanks also sells them now......http://conical-fermenter.com/products/kegs/

Old 04-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #20
insnekamkze86
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hello I am looking at setting up my kegerator up for sanke kegs too soon and the only thing I don't fully understand is how you forced carb the kegs. Do u transfer the beer to the keg afgter cleaning and santizing then just have the gas line hooked up to the tap then connect to the keg then turn on the tank to pressureize the keg, wouldn't beer come out of the liquid side of tap?

Sorry if it sounds dumb just don't understand everything else I do. Only thing keeping me from pullingthe trigger on going with sanke vs corny. Sanke would be better for a kegerator since there's less parts and less worry of leaks unless you don't know how to use a sanke beer tap.

Also I was thinking of using mrl fitting as well for beer and gas lines to the tap instead of normal barbed tailpieces.

Quick Reply