Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Using plastic fizzy water bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
kentronix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

brilliant, thanks. More reading up needed then

Gives me time to stock up on bottles as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
GrantLee63
Recipes 

I use 500 ml Perrier plastic bottles for samples from my kegs in conjunction with a Carbonator. Works great.

Es freut mich mit Euch Allen brüderlich zu trinken ! Ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit !

Old 04-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #13
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantLee63
I use 500 ml Perrier plastic bottles for samples from my kegs in conjunction with a Carbonator. Works great.
+ 1 on the Perrier plastic bottles - beer and cider carbonate with absolutely no problem, as long as you tighten them all the way. Just be sure to keep your beer out of the sunlight if you ARE bottling in clear or green plastic (or glass for that matter).

Good luck and have fun!

Old 06-30-2008, 01:49 AM   #14
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im brewing my first brew as well (Muntons Irish Stout kit) Been in the primary for one week now. I took a hydro reading yesterday and today and it was at 21. It tasted good a bit watery but so far so good. Anyways to the point, I am planning on using plastic coke/root beer/water bottles in 2 and 1L sizes for it. I am sanitizing them very very well.

From my look on it there should be no problem using them, a bit out of norm and im sure a true beer conisour will frown on it heavily but they are cheap, can take very high pressures(no bottle bombs), easy to close. From what I read the bottles themselves will not be a problem but the used caps might. From my experience and the look of the plastic seal in the used caps they work just fine second time around. If you do want new caps most brew supply shops seem to sell them. I would replace the caps pretty often as they are cheap anyway.

I will let you know in a few weeks how well well they work, might end up with flat beer or I will end up with 2L of goodness. Im really not worried about the seal though, just make sure they are tight.

Quick Reply