Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Using plastic fizzy water bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #1
kentronix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using plastic fizzy water bottles

Hi guys and gals, first post here so go easy

I have my first ever brew which is muntons wheat beer that I set going this evening. Everything seems fine, thanks to this forum and art-of-brewing.co.uk for the service and excellent price

I am starting to think about cheap bottling options. I have lots of wine bottles but I assume the cork ones are no good due to the pressure. What about the screw thread ones ? If I ensure a better seal using cling film under the cap (a trick I learnt through horrid leaky milk containers).

Anyway, I am expecting a big fat no on that one so my next option is tesco value sparkling water. Its 17p for 2litres. Would that be ok ? Possibly using cling film too. They would only last a few times I suspect but in that time I would have collected other bottles.

I havent checked but it may be that the non sparkling comes in the same bottles, in which case, could I use the bottled water in my brew ? I assume its sterilized before bottling. Seems a shame to pour it away and there is no way I will be drinking 40 litres in 5 days.

thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What about beer bottles? Can't you just pay the deposit at a pub or store and pick up a crate or two?

I've never bottled in used sparkling water bottles before.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:21 AM   #3
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm not farmiliar with the bottles you are referring to, but it sounds like you are suggesting re-usung screwtops? If that's the case, I would be very hesitant to expect a good, or consistant, seal.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 04-10-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 605 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Throw a party, have your friends chip in for a couple of cases of beer (no twist offs). Save the bottles.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:32 AM   #5
kentronix
Recipes 

Cheers for your replies. Yes I am basically talking about plastic sparkling water bottles. Fizzy pop. Like 2L coke bottles but the plastic is thinner. I would hope the cling film would help the seal but dont really know what kind of pressure develops. My thinking is that tonic and soda water bottles remain fizzy for ages once opened and reselaed.

To use beer bottles would mean drinking 40 pints in the next 4-6 days. I normally like that kind of challenge but I am not sure my liver would agree

We dont have the bottle deposit system in the uk so thats not a problem.

Anyone tried screw top wine bottles ? I tested some tonic with a few shakes and there was no noticeable leaks when held under water.

I know the best solution is to buy new bottles but a large part of homebrewing for me is money saving.

Party is a good idea except my house is full of beer making stuff now !!!

Plus they would probably drink my half fermented brew knowing my mates.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #6
Rhys79
Recipes 

If you just started your brew tonight, you shouldn't be bottling for another 3 weeks or so. Bottling immediately after fermentation has finished is not a good idea unless you want to be drinking green beer. You really should let it age at least 2-3wks before bottling. Best for bottles though if you don't want to buy new ones is hit the local pub and ask for a few cases of empties. If you don't do the bottle deposit thing in the UK, then they likely just throw them out anyways. Just make sure you don't get bottles that had twist off caps.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:03 AM   #7
kentronix
Recipes 

Not many people buy beer in bottles round my way. I am quite freindly with my local pub so i will ask but I dont think I have ever seen anyone order anything other than draught or shorts.

My kit says I should bottle after 4-6 days, should I leave it longer ?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:15 AM   #8
wallify
Recipes 

the plastic 2ltr soda bottles will work. I did my last batch in them while I waited for my kegging supply's to arrive. Basically you have to drink the whole bottle withing a few hours of opening it though as it will go flat much the same way the soda that originally came in the bottle did.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:23 AM   #9
kentronix
Recipes 

drinking 2 litres once open shouldnt be a problem

Did you do anything about the seal or was it ok as it was ? How many times did you re-use the bottle ?

This first batch will probably get drunk pretty quick so long term seal isnt that important. About a month would be fine.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:45 AM   #10
Rhys79
Recipes 

The kit instructions are, excuse my language, utter crap. Hit the beginners forum and read through some of the threads there. It's a pretty regular topic of conversation...

It's refered to as the 1-2-3 rule. 1-week in primary, 2-weeks in secondary, 3-weeks in bottle. Or you can just do 3-weeks in primary if you don't have a secondary.

You can do shorter, but the results won't be as good. Some guys won't bottle till at least 4-weeks or more. It does vary some with the type of beer your making, but the 1-2-3 rule seems to be the general accepted wisdom.

Quick Reply