Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > using nitrogen??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #11
rhag1128
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsloop
Randy,

What additional expenses are required for this? Just a seperate N2 tank, regulator, and tap? So you prime with DME, close up the keg, and leave the keg connected to a N2 tank while the yeast create CO2? If you put in 15psi into the headspace on a keg and pulled the tap... thats not all that much volume for 5 gallons. If you left the tap on, wouldn't the yeast push N2 back into the tank as they created CO2? N2 is lighter than CO2, correct so it will settle to the top of the keg?

You can use the same regulator if the thread fitting is the same type, but it looks like you have multiple lines and would want a separate tank and regulator. I don't think beer stores sell 100% N2. I get mine refilled thru work/ Northeast Gas or other distributor.
I prime with DME close the keg and let sit for a week or so for natural carbonation to happen. Then I will hook up the nitrogen for a day or so before I start dispensing. I am estimating a natural head pressure around 15psi, Then I add another 15 of Nitrogen on top of that. Without going into a lot of P-Chem Using Henry's and Daltons law the constants for the gas, and remembering as you dissolve CO2 in water you make Carbonic acid.......... maybe this will simplify things: Measure the pressure of the CO2 after 7-10 days of priming (ie 15psi), then add 5psi more pressure of Nitorgen on top of that and keep that pressure constant until keg is empty( total system pressure 35psi). This will assure a constant amount of N2 and CO2 in your beer. The psi numbers are for example only, not actual readings from my keg. Also, the CO2 dissolves in water, most of the Nitrogen is only suspended in the solution. Hope this helps

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #12
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Can you serve at 35psi through a short line though? The beer will come out like a fire hose through 6ft of line at that pressure!! I currently serve at 12psi and its fast!

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 01-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #13
rhag1128
Recipes 

You are right it does come zipping out of the line, if you put a venturi type valve inline, you could regulate the flow that way. I always thought its was somewhat norm to have that much flow.

Quick Reply