Using geletin at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleDave

Reaction score
I recently cracked open the first in a batch where I tried to use a very small amount of gelatin in the priming sugar. My hope was to remove the slight cloudiness I normally get with my beers (chill haze). Well, the bottle became a fountain of beer within two seconds of popping the cap off. Lost the whole bottle to the sink and the little bit that settled had kicked up all the yeast sediment leaving it undrinkable. So, I chilled another one for several days in the fridge and it did the same thing. I am not sure if the problem is having adding the tiny amount of gelatin into my bottling bucket with the priming sugar. I have done a great many batches now over the past few years and while some come up more carbed than others, none have fountained out like this. Is the gelatin the likely culprit?

Bloomed it for about 15 minutes or longer. heated it but did not boil it. Let it cool a bit and added to the bottling bucket. And because it was a small batch (about 15 bottles) I only used a very small portion of the packet - proportionally less than the 1tb suggested per 5 gallons

Back