Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Using a corny as a secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Slipgate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Using a corny as a secondary

I racked from the primary into a corny as a secondary after a little over a week in the primary and no noticeable signs of fermentation left. Then I purged with CO2 and then released all the pressure.

I know that there will still be some fermentation going on and whenever I pass by I release any pressure that is in there (never much). So is there a problem with using this setup for my secondary? I am dry hopping too and after a week, I plan on just opening the keg and removing the dry-hop bag and leaving the beer in the same keg for another 2 weeks or so. Then racking to another keg and force carbonating.

Other than possibly starting to carbonate, I don't see an issue but have never done this before.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
bhs668
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I leave my beer in the fermenter at least two to three weeks. I have racked every gallon of beer I've ever made straight into a corny and let it secondary there with no problem. Pump it with co2, and purge to remove oxygen. I never release any gas. I add my priming sugar when I move it into the corny as well. Let it age and when I finally need it, into the kegerator and it's ready to go once cold.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
lmg95
Recipes 

I'm doing the same thing for an IPA right now, It went three weeks in primary, now it'll sit for 1-week dry-hopping before i take out the hop bag.

I'm deciding whether or not to cold crash and then transfer to another keg for carbing, or just cold-crash and hope that the small hop particles won't have a negative effect.

Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Bottled: DFH 60-min IPA & "Chinook" Blonde Ale
Keg #1:Blue Balls Wit
Kegs #2,3,4: empty :(
Planned: Centennial Blonde

Old 08-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
thatleetboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
Other than possibly starting to carbonate, I don't see an issue but have never done this before.
1. There is no reason to leave the average beer three weeks in primary. IMHO, you may do more harm than good.

2. Assuming this is an ale, let it start to carbonate. RDWHAHB.

Cheers

Old 08-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Slipgate
Recipes 

I don't have a problem per se with it carbonating, but I do want to transfer it once more to another keg to get rid of more of the trub. It is kind of hard if it has already carbed! I think I will get one of those corny fermentation locks that I have seen. Seems it would solve all the problems!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
thatleetboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
It is kind of hard if it has already carbed!
Well, it shouldn't be an issue at all. I do this all the time, no problems.
What is your SOP to transfer from one keg to the next?

Old 08-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
XXguy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatleetboy View Post
1. There is no reason to leave the average beer three weeks in primary. IMHO, you may do more harm than good.

What harm might you do to a beer with a 3 week primary?

I'm generally leaving my beers in primary for 4 weeks anymore. No "harm" noticed, other than crisp & clear beer.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
Slipgate
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatleetboy View Post
Well, it shouldn't be an issue at all. I do this all the time, no problems.
What is your SOP to transfer from one keg to the next?
Siphon with an auto-siphon!

Old 08-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I rack lagers into cornies at 10 days or so and then let them finish fermenting while they naturally carbonate. Depending on the gravity I usually have about 4 points left to ferment when I rack them. The Oktoberfest I just racked a few days ago was @ 1.017 and my FFT finished @ 1.013...it's sitting at about 9 psig @ 47-ish degrees F but it will continue to climb.

Quote:
I don't have a problem per se with it carbonating, but I do want to transfer it once more to another keg to get rid of more of the trub. It is kind of hard if it has already carbed! I think I will get one of those corny fermentation locks that I have seen. Seems it would solve all the problems!
Not a problem at all! And this will be an oxygen-free, closed transfer. Just make a jumper assembly with a few feet of tubing and two liquid disconnects (QDs). Sanitize your destination keg, seal it, and purge it with CO2 a few times. Then pressurize both kegs (the full, supply keg and the sanitized, destination keg) to the same pressure (not too high, serving pressure always works for me). Connect each QD to the liquid (out) post on each keg. Because the pressure is equal in both kegs, no beer (or VERY little) should flow. Now slowly vent the destination keg using the relief valve in the lid...beer will slowly flow into the destination keg through the long dip tube so you'll get very little foam.

This is my SOP for lagers.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 08-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
thatleetboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
I rack lagers into cornies at 10 days or so and then let them finish fermenting while they naturally carbonate. Depending on the gravity I usually have about 4 points left to ferment when I rack them. The Oktoberfest I just racked a few days ago was @ 1.017 and my FFT finished @ 1.013...it's sitting at about 9 psig @ 47-ish degrees F but it will continue to climb.

Not a problem at all! And this will be an oxygen-free, closed transfer. Just make a jumper assembly with a few feet of tubing and two liquid disconnects (QDs). Sanitize your destination keg, seal it, and purge it with CO2 a few times. Then pressurize both kegs (the full, supply keg and the sanitized, destination keg) to the same pressure (not too high, serving pressure always works for me). Connect each QD to the liquid (out) post on each keg. Because the pressure is equal in both kegs, no beer (or VERY little) should flow. Now slowly vent the destination keg using the relief valve in the lid...beer will slowly flow into the destination keg through the long dip tube so you'll get very little foam.

This is my SOP for lagers.
+1

The only thing I would add is that if you are too lazy to pull a relief valve, then attach a ball balve to a grey QD, which you will put on the receiving keg's gas post, and open the valve a fraction... the key to the transfer, as mentioned, is to do it slowly. NO PROBLEMS!

Cheers

Quick Reply