Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Using a carb stone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
voodoochild7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using a carb stone

I have a carb stone and want to put it in my keg attached to in co2 inlet via a hose run down to the bottom of the keg has anyone done this? It seems the hose for the hose barb on the stone would be way to small to attach to the tube on the inlet any ideas I want to make only 1 trip to depot not 4 or 5 like my projects usually take.

Chuck

Primary 1: Imperial Stout
Primary 2: Golden Ale
Keg 1: Nothing
Keg 2: Nothing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1020 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I hope your lids have manual pull pressure reliefs on them, otherwise you don't want to mess with this project. 3/16" hose will stretch enough to go on to the gas in dip tube if you warm it up in boiling water. I don't really get the use of these stones. Increasing the pressure to about 20psi for a day or two will get you pretty close without the extra trouble.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Waste of money

These airation stones are a bit of a waste of money, I have one stone, and it cuts about a day off of my forced carbonation time, I have multiple kegs, and well frankly having one finish early does me no good. Additionally I have not figured out how to get the stone out of the keg once it is carbonated, which in its self causes some foaming problems towards the end of the keg.

I don't know about your kegs, but not all of mine have a small maybe 2 inch metal pipe inside the gas in side, some of mine are made of plastic. I found the tubing to the stone does not attach well to the ones made of plastic. The tube to the stone attaches well to the tube made of metal with some force. I know some people have their stones set up so they can be removed, but I found the easiest thing to do was to attach the tubing to the little downspout inside the keg where they let the gas in and let the stone drape to the bottom. Essentially every time that you add CO2 to the tank, the CO2 is being added to the beer instead of being added on top of the beer. When you get to the end of the keg, it really foams up the beer inside (actually I don't know what is happening inside, but my beer comes out with more foam) as the beer level drops closer to the stone.

Hope this helps and is somewhat understandable

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 10-25-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
voodoochild7
Recipes 

Well I got the stones for christmas so I figured I'd use them at least once.

Chuck

Primary 1: Imperial Stout
Primary 2: Golden Ale
Keg 1: Nothing
Keg 2: Nothing

Quick Reply