Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Used Ball Lock Fitting Leaking

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
Trenchant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Used Ball Lock Fitting Leaking

I got a free CO2 regulator with a hose and ball lock fitting already on it. The guages need replacement but that wasn't hard.

I kegged the first batch today and I noticed the ball lock fitting leaks! I know the kegs dont' leak because I pressurized them up empty and let them sit for a few weeks. They leak from the post area. The rubber o rings look completely fine.

Is there any way to service these connections? I don't mean the connections on the keg itself I mean the connection on the end of the hose. It's gummed up a bit as well.

I plan on buying new connections anyway because I need to buy a gas out connection yet but I figure why waste a connection thats already setup with all the threaded fittings?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

post oring is likely bad
also the fitting itself does unscrew for cleaning

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 02-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #3
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

please provides some pics. But simple answer is yes and no. The ball lock quick disconnects can be taken apart to clean, but I dont think anything in therm are replaceable. You can replace the quick disconnects for about 5-7 buck a piece. You said the kegs dont leak, then said "They leak from the post area". Can you confirms what's leaking kegs or quick disconnects? THey sell o-ring packs for about 2 buck that replace all of the 0-rings on the keg. It worth doing this.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 02-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #4
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

also ensure that your putting gas line on the correct post they are not the same size, the liquid out is fractionally smaller than gasin

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 02-01-2009, 03:48 AM   #5
Trenchant
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktlupus View Post
also ensure that your putting gas line on the correct post they are not the same size, the liquid out is fractionally smaller than gasin
I just thought of this as I was reading the other replies. I believe I accidentally switched the tubes around. Before kegging I dissassembled the kegs because I had just purchased them from a restraunt. I wanted to make sure there was no coke left in the lines and I completely steralized everything. I checked the setup before shaking some solution around inside the keg to clean it but I must of mixed up the posts.

I switched the disconnect to the other side and it doesn't seem to be leaking. I'm almost positive I have them on backwards though. I put the disconnect on the gas side originally and got my friend to open up the pressure relief valve. He got a face full of beer. We switched everything over to the other side and it worked fine.

All the o rings on both of my kegs look brand new. I bought both kegs from a restraunt. The kegs were still in circulation.

Quick Reply