Use a tower or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjsscram

Reaction score
Was doing so reading on kegging. I was just about to buy a 2 tap tower and seen a post on other form about the first pint being foamy. Is this a real concern or am I just over think it.

thanks

jjsscram said:
Was doing so reading on kegging. I was just about to buy a 2 tap tower and seen a post on other form about the first pint being foamy. Is this a real concern or am I just over think it.

thanks
One reason the first glass is so foamy is due to temperature differentials. Warm beer releases CO2 easier than cold beer. The temperature in the tower is higher than that in the refrigerator itself, resulting in the excess foaming until the colder beer from the keg makes it up through the tap.

Some folks have devised ways to force the colder air up into the tower using things like cooling fans from computer cases and whatnot.

jjsscram said:

thanks

Only the first pint or two will have foam, until the lines cool down inside the tower. Every tower/fridge is different though. I NEVER get foam from warm beer lines in my ABS tower.

FWIW, I sometimes get extra foam from my keg system on the 1st pour and mine goes through the front of the fridge door.

Back