Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > unorthodox priming question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
the_sloth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default unorthodox priming question

I am looking to add a maraschino cherry to each bottle individually when I transfer my next batch to bottles.
I ordinarily like my beers slightly under carbed, I use 2/3c dextrose to prime my usual batches. The label on the cherries say there is 2 grams of sugar per cherry, I assume that does not include the syrup. How would I figure out what kind of carbonation I will get by adding just the cherry to the bottle. I certainly do not want these to begin exploding.

Thanks in advance........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 02:55 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 1048 Posts

Unless your yeast come equipped with drills, I don't see how they'd get to ~90% of the sugar within the cherry. I'd be inclined to discount their sugar contribution...

Cheers!

Old 02-10-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
Rhaop
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

i've heard of people trying dry hopping pellets in the bottle never thought a cherry or such, be interested to see how this works, doing a cherry wheat?

Old 02-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 22

how about this, mix up some yeast (baker's or whatever) and water, add equal amounts to a few bottles. put your normal amount of carbing sugar in a couple, and different amounts of cherries in others, do a few replicates for each treatment, cap each with a balloon, put them in a warm place and watch. compare inflation. you could use a shedload of yeast and have them very warm, you just want to ferment everything out asap. i don't know... maybe i'm typing faster than thinking

Quick Reply