Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Undercarbed beer: move from fridge back to warm room to finish carbonating?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
willjschmidt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Undercarbed beer: move from fridge back to warm room to finish carbonating?

I recently put an entire recent batch into the fridge and neglected to make sure that it was fully carbonated. After sampling a couple, they are not fully carbonated. I assumed they were since they were at room temp for 4 weeks but room temp is only in the mid-60's these days. They've been in the fridge for a few weeks now. Can I move them from the fridge back to a warm room to let them finish carbonating? Will the yeast still have enough vitality to finish the job?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It won't hurt them to let them warm up again. Let them warm up and try to keep them at 70F for a week and try one, if it's not where you want it, leave them for another week at 70F. They will eventually carb-up but some beers take longer than others. 70F is the key and at that temp I've had some take a month to be right.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
turkeyjerky214
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Take em out, try to forget about them for a month. It'll be fine.

-Brian

Tap 1: Flanders Brown Tap 2: Pumpkin Ale Tap 3: Rye IPA Tap 4: Wee Heavy Tap 5: Apfelwein

Fermenting: Amber Ale
Kegged: Barrel-Aged Barleywine, Barleywine, RIS,

Lagering: Märzen

Old 03-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Yes, in order for the yeast to finish the job, they need to wake up from the cold you put them under. Take them out, let them warm up for a couple days, THEN give each of them a bit of a shake to get the yeast back off the bottom and into the work space.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply