Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Uncle Sam wants me to Keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 03:39 AM   #1
WhyTee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Uncle Sam wants me to Keg

So in the spirit of stimulating the economy the decision has been made to turn this empty fridge I have into a kegerator. My apologies if I am re-hashing something that has already been covered. I'm looking at keg kits and was hoping some of you would drop some links of what you consider good kits. Here's what I've looked at so far:

MidWest

AHS

It looks to me that midwest has the better deal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008, 03:50 AM   #2
Brewer3401

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The up front cost is a little bit of a shock, but you'll experience a totally new way of brewing......drinking.

I started about 2 months after I started brewing.

My first kegs were a little to be desired, but keep reading and learning.

Kegged beer rules

Fermenter: -0-
Brite tank: -0-
Kegged: Blonde ale

Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Actually, since I had nothing better to do, I priced out the stuff you need to add a second line to the AHB setup, and even going piece by piece the total comes to $296.26.

I'd still go with Midwest because it's simpler - you don't have to order 7,284 little fiddly bits in order to add the second line.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

You might also look at Keg Connection

Old 07-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
BrewDoc_Md
Recipes 

After researching it a lot, I started with this Midwest kit: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7739

I think it's better than the one you listed because you get a double regulator...you can keg at two different pressures. You can force carb one while serving the other. And this kit is cheaper and easier to expand from, too (and once you start kegging, you will want to expand soon after). Plus, you should get Perlick faucets...those cheapy ones that come with the Midwest kit you found are more of a headache. They'll drip, get stuck, and are harder to keep clean. Kegging should be about drinking...your setup should facilitate that, not hinder it.

Get this midwest kit, some perlick faucets, shanks, tubing, and an extra keg (or two). You'll be all set and off to a better start for about the same price as the kit you found.

"Brew like a monk, Drink like a fratboy"

Old 07-09-2008, 03:48 AM   #6
WhyTee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I think I'm Ready

As luck would have it my stimulus check got here today

So does this look good? Am I missing anything else (with exception of tap handles and drip tray)

Perlick Stainless Steel Faucet x 2
3 5/8" Faucet Shank with welded nipple x 2
Beer Line (1/4" ID) x 20ft (10 feet per hose?)
Brew Logic Dual Tap Draft System with Reconditioned CO2 Tank -(This)

Thumbs up?

Old 07-09-2008, 03:56 AM   #7
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

one other place is http://www.homebrewing.org/Homebrew-Kegging-System_p_21-69.html

thier 5 gallon kegs are cheap. I have ordered 2 of thier kegs and about to order 3 more. they arnt rebuilt but thats cheap enough from the LHBS locally they want 35 a keg recon. including shipping these guys where cheaper.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
BrewDoc_Md
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pen25 View Post
one other place is http://www.homebrewing.org/Homebrew-Kegging-System_p_21-69.html

thier 5 gallon kegs are cheap. I have ordered 2 of thier kegs and about to order 3 more. they arnt rebuilt but thats cheap enough from the LHBS locally they want 35 a keg recon. including shipping these guys where cheaper.
Thanks for the info. My LHBS said they will soon raise their keg prices to $40! You can't beat the prices on the site you gave, even with a few O-ring sets to boot.

"Brew like a monk, Drink like a fratboy"

Old 07-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
rudy0498
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewDoc_Md View Post
After researching it a lot, I started with this Midwest kit: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7739

I think it's better than the one you listed because you get a double regulator...you can keg at two different pressures. You can force carb one while serving the other. And this kit is cheaper and easier to expand from, too (and once you start kegging, you will want to expand soon after). Plus, you should get Perlick faucets...those cheapy ones that come with the Midwest kit you found are more of a headache. They'll drip, get stuck, and are harder to keep clean. Kegging should be about drinking...your setup should facilitate that, not hinder it.

Get this midwest kit, some perlick faucets, shanks, tubing, and an extra keg (or two). You'll be all set and off to a better start for about the same price as the kit you found.
I just ordered this exact kit a couple weeks ago. I searched high and low and tried pricing out different combinations from several different places and still couldn't beat the price. A small word of caution though. Both gas lines leaked out of both connectors and both low pressure gauges were damaged in shipping. I was able to quickly tighten all 4 connections and they gave my absolutely no hassle with sending me a whole new regulator (not just replacement gauges). Even considering the issues I had, I'd still recommend them. Their speed/service were great.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #10
slerm
Recipes 

I used these guys and was happy......good customer service:

http://kegman.net/

Quick Reply