Ugh, bottle bombs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
20+ batches and I had my first two bottle bombs. What a nice little mess that was.

It's all Cheese's fault... him and his damn cca. Now I have a sticky vanilla spot on the floor. :mug:

cnbudz said:
That sucks man... At least yours were on the floor when they exploded, I had a 22oz Taddy Porter clone explode in my kitchen cabinet. Huge mess and it ruined a bunch of food...

That's what you get for wasting cabinet space with stuff like food

Sorry to hear about your losses Ohio..I will toast to the fallen tonight

maybe this will make you feel better

O-H.......

I had a bottle bomb which I defused... I was throwing out a bad batch of fruit beer.. opened the cap in the sink and beer blew all over the kitchen. Made a mess but at least no shrapnel :D

My buddy gave me a premature mead one time and called about 2 months later to warn me of recent explosions. When I uncapped it, the beer fountain splattered the ceiling and left the bottle completely EMPTY. Never seen anything like it...

98EXL said:
wow, anyone have any aftermath pictures?

Sadly, no...

brloomis said:
From this discussion I have learned that one should open suspected bottle bombs OUTSIDE.

Definitely! Of course, I didn't follow my own advice when I was venting a used Sanke in the kitchen last week. Stupid, I know... I've been using cornies so long that it never crossed my mind that Gas In and Beer Out are the same valve.

I lost most of 2 batches to bottle bombs, and those that have survived are carbonated beyond belief.

My advice for those of you with bottle bombs is to chill the entire batch in your fridge (this will drop the pressure temporarily) then pull them out and over the sink, with your very best bottle opener (like the kind off a wine-bottle opener -- the kind with 'arms') gently burp the bottles. You'll hear them hiss a bit, then let them sit on the counter for 20 minutes, then burp them again as they've warmed up a little. I bet you could do this about 4 or 5 times.

The trick is, only open the cap enough that a gas can escape, but not so much that it won't re-seal when you release it. You could even hit them with the wing capper again to check the seal.

My original plan with this was to pop the tops and put new caps on, but my bottle bombs, with that sudden and complete release of pressure, erupted all over my counter, cabinets, and floor.

This worked much better.

kvh.

joebou4860 said:
That's what you get for wasting cabinet space with stuff like food

Sorry to hear about your losses Ohio..I will toast to the fallen tonight

maybe this will make you feel better

O-H.......

I-O.......

Oh crap, I was too late. :(

Wow, what a bummer. Ive been lucky and never had a bottle bomb (to be read as Im a lush and never let them sit around). I moved over to kegs, so I think Im not going to have any problems..........

SoCalBrewing said:
Wow, what a bummer. Ive been lucky and never had a bottle bomb (to be read as Im a lush and never let them sit around). I moved over to kegs, so I think Im not going to have any problems..........

Just don't over pressurize the kegs, those would be bunker busters...

kvh said:
I lost most of 2 batches to bottle bombs, and those that have survived are carbonated beyond belief.

My advice for those of you with bottle bombs is to chill the entire batch in your fridge (this will drop the pressure temporarily) then pull them out and over the sink, with your very best bottle opener (like the kind off a wine-bottle opener -- the kind with 'arms') gently burp the bottles. You'll hear them hiss a bit, then let them sit on the counter for 20 minutes, then burp them again as they've warmed up a little. I bet you could do this about 4 or 5 times.

The trick is, only open the cap enough that a gas can escape, but not so much that it won't re-seal when you release it. You could even hit them with the wing capper again to check the seal.

My original plan with this was to pop the tops and put new caps on, but my bottle bombs, with that sudden and complete release of pressure, erupted all over my counter, cabinets, and floor.

IGNORE THIS ADVICE - I've learned my lesson.

I just moved to a new apartment, one without central AC. I had 6, count them S-I-X bottles explode today, one in my HAND, and five of them within 3 feet of me. Glass flew across the room.

I suspect it had everything to do with the heat today. The bottles that were out with the ones that blew today were all put out of their misery. I have a few in the fridge which are ok.

Oh, did I mention these were all 22oz bottles? Yeah, it was a terrifying mess.

Thought I'd pass that along.

I didn't think it was that hot yesterday....last week was brutal. Do you think this has everything to do with no C AC? On a side note, how do you live without AC?

Back