The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Two questions re: bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
rtb178
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Two questions re: bottling

Seemingly random questions about bottling and conditioning.

1. Does anyone have experience with carbing Sam Adams bottles to 3.5-4 volumes?

2. more generally, does the amount of time bottles are conditioned tend to increase the risk of bottle bombs? e.g., if I were to carb a Sam Adams bottle to 4 volumes, would the fact that I'd be conditioning the bottle for 8+ weeks make it more likely to become a bomb?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'm not sure I undertand #1, but as long as you wait until fermentation is completed before bottling there is very little to no chance of having any bottle bombs.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
rtb178
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig View Post
I'm not sure I undertand #1, but as long as you wait until fermentation is completed before bottling there is very little to no chance of having any bottle bombs.
Sorry, I can clarify. I'm wondering if I can use SA bottles to carbonate a Belgian Golden Strong (to between 3.5-4 volumes). I ask about SA bottles because they're a little bit heavier than most standard 12 oz bottles, and I was hoping to carbonate them to a higher level than standard (2.5-3 volumes).

Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 52

If I say yes and you bottle and things go south in a dangerous way, will you hold me liable? 3.5-4 volumes is pushing the limits. But if they are the thicker ones, give it a go. My suggestion is that if you bottle for that volume, put the case(s) of bottles in a plastic bag for the duration so just in case some blow, you won't have a huge mess.
Second ? : Carbonation is an equation with variables of time and temperature. At a higher temperature, your bottles could carb in a week. Lower temp, many weeks. Very low temp, maybe never..... If you do your sugar calculations and input correctly for 4 volumes, then eventually the yeast will eat all that sugar and fart out 4 volumes of CO2. Time and temp. Probably three weeks at about 68 would do the trick.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 10-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
rtb178
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good tips. I'll put the bottles in a container/bags for the 2.5 months or so they'll be conditioning. Thanks everyone.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
jmd1971
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just be careful when opening those bottles. If, in fact, they are bombs, the bottles could shatter in your hand causing an unfortunate scene. I'd wear some gloves or something when opening the first just to be sure. Better that than a trip to the ER!

Quick Reply