New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Twist top bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 05:06 AM   #1
SuperiorBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Twist top bottles?

Last week I was trying out my new beer gun and I bottled up about 24 bottles, at the time I didnt notice but somehow I had one twist top bottled filled so I capped it and figured I would drink that one the next day, well it ended up burried in the fridge and I got to it tonight and it was fine, nice pressure when I twisted it off and carbed the same as all the rest.

BTW I love the beer gun, solves the problem of the give away beers, I save my old non screw micro brew bottles and dont care that much if they dont come back. If I knew all the twist tops would work that would be even better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
NateKerx

Recipes 

For some reason I overlooked the fact that those big old sierra nevada bottles are twist off(I guess they all actually are) and bottled with several of those a few batches ago. I didnt even realize until I went to wash the bottles that they were twist off. I think that they will work in a pinch for sure, but you have to be really careful handing them because it isnt the most durable seal in the world.

Kegged:
On Deck:Centennial Blonde, Amarillo Cream Ale

"Drinking is the joy of the Russes, we cannot live without this pleasure."

-Vladimir I, Grand Prince of Kiev

Old 10-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
-Dan-
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yiengling, Kona, and some other twist off are just fine ... even Bud Light works if really necessary; however; with Bud LIght bottles I had a few problems in the past ... like 1 out of 15 or so.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Twist offs make the best bottle bombs

I too have accidentally used twist offs, but I find the main problem is that if you are naturally carbonating, and the pressure gets to high the cap will un-seal. Additionly the necks on the screw tops are a lot thinner than the other bottles and make the bottles more likely to become bottle bombs. If you are using a beer gun, and not naturally carbonating, I wouldn't worry to much, as the pressure won't change as the beer sits in the bottle. I would however not reccomend naturally carbonating in screw tops.

BTW screw top beers have been banned from my house, you may want to implement a similar ban.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 10-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
par383
Recipes 

Okay, I've got to ask. I always naturally carbonate in the bottle. I have no clue what you're talking about. What is a beer gun? Sorry.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by par383
Okay, I've got to ask. I always naturally carbonate in the bottle. I have no clue what you're talking about. What is a beer gun? Sorry.
It's an (overpriced) apparatus for moving beer out of your kegs and into bottles for transport to a party, beer swap or to store for longer periods of time and free up your kegs.

I've bottled up multiple cases of beer out of my kegs using my racking cane, cobra tap and a drilled #2 stopper. Works great and I still have great carbonation 8-10 months later.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 10-22-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
It's an (overpriced) apparatus for moving beer out of your kegs and into bottles for transport to a party, beer swap or to store for longer periods of time and free up your kegs.

I've bottled up multiple cases of beer out of my kegs using my racking cane, cobra tap and a drilled #2 stopper. Works great and I still have great carbonation 8-10 months later.
Lots of people use and like them, If I need a couple 6 packs to give away to my BMC buds that would no doubt be turned off by the gunk in the bottom of the bottle that they would not know or remember to leave in the bottom of the bottle.
As far as it being overpriced, I guess that depends on who you ask, its sort of like saying a gas grill is overpriced because I could make a steak over a campfire.

Brass button for beer black button for gas

Edit fer speeling

Old 10-23-2007, 03:19 AM   #8
(nevin)
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateKerx
For some reason I overlooked the fact that those big old sierra nevada bottles are twist off(I guess they all actually are) and bottled with several of those a few batches ago. I didnt even realize until I went to wash the bottles that they were twist off. I think that they will work in a pinch for sure, but you have to be really careful handing them because it isnt the most durable seal in the world.
Seems like Sierra's were always twist-off until just after I started brewing this summer, everything I've bought since was a pop-top.
60 minute IPA, Great Minds Oatmeal Stout, 60 minute IPA, Science Experiment #1&#2, Chilly Willy (AKA. Science Experiment #3)

Old 10-27-2007, 03:49 AM   #9
twocylndr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

KIDS
Egads!!! Using paper thin twist off bottles!!! I'm glad I started brewing when you could buy beer in returnable bottles... I got +6 cases of REAL bottles!!!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #10
El_Borracho
Recipes 

So the problem with twist-off cap bottles is that the glass is thinner?

How is Sam Adam bottles? I've been saving those..

5 gallon [US, liquid] = 640 ounce [US, liquid]

Quick Reply