*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Twist top bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 12:48 AM   #1
vanz72
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Twist top bottles

I have a question about the useage of used twist-top bottles from commercial beer to use for home brewing. I read that it is not recommended to use these, that it is preferable to use the old returnable type bottles that require a bottle opener.

The reason I'm asking this is I have a bunch of old Leinie's bottles and the caps that I have been saving up for putting my beer in. I stopped by some liquor stores to buy off some returnable bottles, which I thought would be cheaper than getting new ones. They all told me that most brewers converted to the twist on variety and nobody bothers to bring back the returnables that still do exist.

My question is why they recommend against using the twist tops. Maybe it is a seal integrity issue. Wondering if any of you have any insight on this.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006, 12:53 AM   #2
Engelramm
Recipes 

It's hard to get a good seal on twist-off bottles.

I wish Goose Island didn't use twist-offs. I always seem to have a bunch of those empties around.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:56 AM   #3
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Yup , it's the seal. I know some people around here use them with no problems but I have never used them. Any bottles from Sam Adams, New Belgium, Pete's Wicked, Bridgeport, Deschutes, Redhook, Stone, Mendocino, Flying Dog and most other micros work fine.

Just buy some beer and consider that you have free bottles for homebrew.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 10-17-2006, 12:58 AM   #4
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Some on this board use the twist offs. They will work but you might get a few flat beers in a 5 gal batch from what I have gathered.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:10 AM   #5
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

On a lot of twist off bottles the neck is weaker. This means that you may break some bottles during bottling and have to throw out the beer since you don't know if broken glass got in the beer.

I thought I could make it work by twisting the original caps back on the bottles, but that doesn't get a good seal.

I'm sorry, but you'll probably find that you just need to pitch those bottles and get some regular bottles.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Old 10-17-2006, 01:55 AM   #6
99expo
Recipes 

i had to use 2 or 3 on my last batch and they carbed fine but they were harder to cap
my 2 cents

Is there anything beer can't do. - Hank Hill

Old 10-20-2006, 09:37 PM   #7
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Are the pet bottles from coopers good to use? I have the originals that came with my kit but I also have lots of Sam Adams and Corona to use. Which is best?

Old 10-20-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have used the regular "canadian" bottles which I understand to be a little heavier than the American bottles. I have no issue with them losing carbonation using the right caps. I no longer use very many as I keg and also have a large selection of corona bottles, but I'm drinking a stout ATM that just came out of one of my twist top bottles and it is perfect.
Like was mentioned though, you need to be careful bottling as they are prone to breakage around the neck when bottling. I have had 3 break when bottling in the 20 years I have been brewing and I have only used corona bottles and kegs for the past 2 years. All the previous brews were done using the twist-off type bottles.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 10-20-2006, 11:42 PM   #9
JimiGibbs
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In this month's BYO, Mr. Wizard addresses that and basically says it can be done but the key is to use a bench capper and not the common hand held kind that crimps around the neck. Also, he says carbonation level is a factor and not to use twist offs on high carbonation brews. This was the first time I had heard anyone say it was OK and I'm still not convinced I'm going to try it ....

Old 10-20-2006, 11:49 PM   #10
rod
beer -just brew it
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i agree with boo boo
i think our canadian beer bottles are heavier
the only time i had a twist-off bottle break on capping it was a miller lite i weighed some bottles on my digital scale and found canadian, sleeman, blue bottles all weighed 9.2 ounces empty but miller lite bottles weighed 6.8 ounces which is 1/3 lighter - no wonder they break.
i have bottled probably 300 twist-offs in the last year(not a drunk??) with a wing type capper with no problems.

simplified signature:
beer, wine, cheese in various stages of production

Quick Reply