Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Tubing and clamps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
SixFoFalcon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Tubing and clamps

I just wanted to share some equipment annoyances I've gone through on my kegerator setup. Specifically crappy hoses and useless hose clamps.

I have a single regulator and a 3-way manifold on the gas side of my kegerator. This adds up to 8 connections where gas hoses are attached to barbs. I initially set most of the system up with tubing from MoreBeer and standard "worm-gear" hose clamps. It leaked like crazy, and the tubing was ridiculously stiff (which in addition to making it a pain in the ass to move things around, didn't help the seal at the hose barb, either). I incrementally tightened everything up until it was leak-free, but I always had to be careful whenever I moved anything because the hoses were so stiff they'd move on the barbs and start a leak again.

After a couple weeks, I was inspecting things one day when changing a keg, and I noticed two of the hose clamps had snapped! I guess this was due to high tension they were under--temperature cycles were just too much for them. I replaced them, being careful to only tighten the new clamps just tight enough to prevent leaks, but a couple more clamps snapped over the next few days. It didn't seem to be isolated to any one brand of clamp--I had three different brands succumb.

I was already frustrated with the inflexible tubing, and I remembered how the Perlick and Micromatic tubing I used in the past was SO much better, so I decided to toss all the MoreBeer tubing and replace it all. I ordered up like 50' of good tubing (replaced all the gas lines, beer lines, and kept some spares.) I have to say it was worth every penny. The Perlick/Micromatic tubing is easier to work with since it actually stays flexible at fridge temps. It also seals better on the hose barbs--so well that I found the clamps are actually unnecessary. I started to clamp everything down as a matter of course, but I ran out of clamps halfway through. And when I checked for leaks initially and then again over the next few days, I found that the only connections that leaked at all were ones that were clamped! (The clamps distort the tubing because the clamps don't stay perfectly round as you tighten them.)

Now I'm sure Oetiker clamps would work much better than the worm-gear style--in fact I was planning on ordering a big bag of them--but I have to say after assembling and disassembling everything a few times, and moving things around a lot, I have yet to have any issues with leakage or connections coming loose when you accidentally yank on the tubing or anything like that. It's been several months and several kegs since I stopped bothering with clamps, and the only leak I've had was unrelated to the tubing connections (didn't tighten a quick-disconnect enough when I reassembled it, so the gasket was leaking a bit--easy fix).

Anyone else not bothering with clamps? Anyone else get frustrated with the tubing from MoreBeer that turns rock hard in the fridge?

On tap:Witbier, American Stout, Imperial Stout, Root Beer

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon
Next: US IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
bru-er
Recipes 

Same problem here. Second C02 tank this month. I initially could not find the leaks with soap and water. Any better suggestions? I will be buying new tubing for both beer and C02, and as memory serves the micromatic worked great for years.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 12 Posts

Don't get you clamps from HF or some other cheap supply. If you pay a little more for them than the entire clamp is stainless steel and has the strength to allow hard clamping force. Being a Cat mechanic I get mine from work, the bands are a thicker gauge of SS and don't slip or loosen the way they cheap ones do. As with anything in this world you get what you pay for.

Edit: When I made my keezer all the lines got clamped to the lid so hardness is not an issue. My shanks are 1/4 and the line is 3/16. all though the clamps don't seem necessary I enjoy the piece of mind knowing that it cant blow off and drain my beer into the keezer.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:22 AM   #4
SixFoFalcon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
Don't get you clamps from HF or some other cheap supply. If you pay a little more for them than the entire clamp is stainless steel and has the strength to allow hard clamping force. Being a Cat mechanic I get mine from work, the bands are a thicker gauge of SS and don't slip or loosen the way they cheap ones do. As with anything in this world you get what you pay for.

Edit: When I made my keezer all the lines got clamped to the lid so hardness is not an issue. My shanks are 1/4 and the line is 3/16. all though the clamps don't seem necessary I enjoy the piece of mind knowing that it cant blow off and drain my beer into the keezer.
It was actually even harder to get a good seal with the heavier fully-stainless clamps since they are so inflexible, especially on these small diameter applications. They just don't create an even 360° seal so you have to tighten the hell out of them. In this case I got a better seal without a clamp than with one.

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon

Old 09-21-2008, 01:20 AM   #5
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 12 Posts

I have run into that too. I just bent the screw end a little more before putting the clamp together.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Rickyp
Recipes 

The Oetiker clamps work great. They're not as easy to get off as the screw clamps, but they hold wonderfully. I've got a 3 tap setup and used Oetiker clamps on everything and I've never had a leak (except for the one time that my roommate put a new keg in and lost the washer for the gas connector to the distributor rail and it leaked out in two days).

Old 09-22-2008, 03:32 AM   #7
Hanr3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixFoFalcon View Post
... so you have to tighten the hell out of them.
and you wonder why they dont work.

Cranking the hell out of them is part of the problem. It's a hose clamp, not a bolt. Also make sure you have the right size clamp, barb and hose.

I use hose clamps, barbs, and rubber hose for my air tools. They hold to 120 psi with no leaks. It is a proven system that works well. Check your components.

I too wont trust a bard to hold a hose in place.

Being your only pushing 15psi or less, you could get by with zip ties too. Use two per barb.

Teach me o wise one.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:20 AM   #8
SixFoFalcon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
and you wonder why they dont work.

Cranking the hell out of them is part of the problem. It's a hose clamp, not a bolt. Also make sure you have the right size clamp, barb and hose.

I use hose clamps, barbs, and rubber hose for my air tools. They hold to 120 psi with no leaks. It is a proven system that works well. Check your components.

I too wont trust a bard to hold a hose in place.

Being your only pushing 15psi or less, you could get by with zip ties too. Use two per barb.
Way to read the whole post.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
floridarunner68
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post

What size zip ties would you use?

On Tap: Belgium Tripel
On Tap: Pumpkin Ale - out
On Tap: Clover Honey Irish Red Ale - out
On Tap: Blanchard de Ballard (Belgian Witbier) - out

Old 10-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #10
Dpostman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use 50lb Tie-Wraps from Digikey. I also use a tie wrap gun to properly tighten them and cut the excess. Working fine, but I've only been set up for a few weeks, but the guys here that work in the lab (Hospital) assured me that at these working pressures, there would not be a problem as long as the Hose I.D. is properly matched to the barb size of the fittings. i.e. 1/4" or 3/16" onto 1/4" fitting = OK, 5/16" ID Hose onto 1/4" Barb Fitting = Not OK

dp

Quick Reply