Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Trouble capping 16.9 oz bottles! Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
fightguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Trouble capping 16.9 oz bottles! Help!

I have a ton of Black Boss Porter bottles, as well as numerous Zwyeick Porter bottles that I am trying to reuse for my homebrew. The beer is bottled, but I now can't get the caps on securely. I bought the 29mm caps and the bell for my Red Baron Capper, but no combination of caps/bell seems to fit correctly. What do you guys recommend?

www.bloodyknux.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Probably too late to help you out. I think those bottles take regular crown caps, but from a look at the pictures I doubt they would work with a hand capper.

If you notice the little lip the capper grabs on to below the lip is really high up on these bottles, so you probably won't be able to get it to crimp on the cap. You'll need to use a bench capper for that style of bottle.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-29-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
jbambuti
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had a similar problem with those bottles. I got the caps on, but it took lots of work and a little extra leverage, plus some bent caps. Some of them didn't look too great on the bottles, but they held up fine. Since then, I've given up on those bottles and am now bottling in 22 oz. bottles. Too bad, since some of those Polish beers are good and I like to reuse whenever possible.

Primary 2: Apfelwein

Primary 3: Air

Bottled: Hammered Squirrel Nut Brown Ale (btl. 5/9/10), Jamil's Evil Twin (btl. 3/29/10), Crazy Ivan RIS (btl. 2/14/10), English Pale Ale (btl. 12/29/09), Apfelwein

Up Next:

Quick Reply