Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Transporting kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
robodeath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Transporting kegs

I am going to be moving two kegs to a wedding. They will already be done and carbd at the time I move them. Should I release the pressure in the keg before moving them or leave them pressurized?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Do you release the pressure in bottles or cans before moving them? What are the beers your moving. If you want them clear they won't be unless you filtered! !
Edit: I can tell you how to have clear beer without filtering..

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 03-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
biohaz7331
Brew Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you are moving them and serving then get some tubs at Lowes or something and fill them with ice. Move the kegs a few hours before serving them and pour off the first pint because residue will get stirred up(at least I heard somewhere it is a good idea to do another pour off but I never have). Or you could do what I do and for 30-50 bucks set up s filtering set up using a one micron filter. It makes wonderfully clear beer and almost 0 residue in the bottom of the keg.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Another easy way to prevent the sediment getting stirred up is to transfer the beer off of the sediment into clean kegs before you move them.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
edmanster Likes This 
Old 03-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #5
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Another easy way to prevent the sediment getting stirred up is to transfer the beer off of the sediment into clean kegs before you move them.
this is what i do and was going to suggest if the op ever replied!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 09-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
iasteeler
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I know this is an old thread, but my problem is I brought a keg to our fantasy football draft, and it was nothing but foam. I left pressure on the keg when driving it over, and tried with pressure(12-14 psi) and turning it down to around 5 psi and purging the keg. Nothing seemed to work. Any tips or secrets I haven't heard? I would really like to bring one to the Superbowl party and don't want to bottle 2 cases. Kegging has made me lazy.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by iasteeler
I know this is an old thread, but my problem is I brought a keg to our fantasy football draft, and it was nothing but foam. I left pressure on the keg when driving it over, and tried with pressure(12-14 psi) and turning it down to around 5 psi and purging the keg. Nothing seemed to work. Any tips or secrets I haven't heard? I would really like to bring one to the Superbowl party and don't want to bottle 2 cases. Kegging has made me lazy.
Any time you jostle a keg around you'll need to let it settle for an hour or two before pouring. The longer the better. You should also disconnect the gas line before moving it. If the beer temp increases during the trip, and you're still applying serving pressure, you could increase the carbonation level. With the gas disconnected, the headspace pressure will change as the temp changes, but the carbonation will stay the same.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 09-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 837 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 69

And like what was said above, don't let the pressure out. Pressure is what keeps the lid snug. If you take the pressure off, you could spring a leak if the kegs tip over while in transport.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
Setesh

Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster View Post
this is what i do and was going to suggest if the op ever replied!
+1 to this.

I take an empty keg and put about 15lbs on it and let it sit for a few hours. My theory is that the CO2 will settle to the bottom and then when I purge it will push all the O2 out the top. I don't know if this theory has merit but it makes me feel better at least. Then I will purge the keg a couple times at 5PSI just to be sure, and transfer the beer to the new keg. I watch the line carefully and as soon as the lines change color or start to foam I stop the transfer. Then I pressurize the new keg and I'm good to go. I've had nothing but good results with this method. I'm usually taking a keg to a party when I do this so there is little risk of the beer lasting through the night, so I probably wouldn't have to be so paranoid about oxidation, but I am anal that way. I let it sit for two hours in a bucket of Ice to calm down and it's good to go

Old 09-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1380 Times on 1115 Posts

That theory has no merit. Gas molecules are in constant motion and thus will diffuse rather rapidly. So you'll have reduced the O2 content of the mix by introducing CO2, but it will be homogeneous in short order.

That's A Good Thing, as the alternative would have snuffed all life out on the planet long ago...

Cheers!

Quick Reply