Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Transporting a keg before CO2...?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 03:08 AM   #1
Dillbag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Transporting a keg before CO2...?

So, I've got a Lager which I'd like to get in a keg and ready for a party... Only thing is, the secondary is up in my basement in upstate NY, and my kegging stuff is down here in NJ...

Is it a bad idea to fill the keg, and drive it down to NJ (approx 2.5 hours) without putting it on CO2?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2008, 04:26 AM   #2
Parva
Recipes 

It's not ideal but I'd say if you must then I would pressurize the keg, purge and re-pressurize and leave it like that until you open it to fill with beer. Once filled immediately refit the lid. As CO2 is heavier than 'air' hopefully the beer will remain sufficiently sanitised whilst you take it on it's 2.5 hour journey and re-pressurise it. That's what I would do in an emergency situation like that anyway.

Unless I've missed the point and and the keg is up in NY and you have no means of giving it any CO2 beforehand? In which case I would say it's going to be a risk but if you have no other option, what can you do?

Old 08-23-2008, 04:38 AM   #3
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Try to keep it from bouncing around much while you drive. Since you can't purge the keg, the headspace will be mostly air, and you definitely don't want to aerate your lager.

Apart from that you'll probably be OK, so long as your plan is to carb and serve fairly quickly.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:50 AM   #4
Finn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillbag View Post
So, I've got a Lager which I'd like to get in a keg and ready for a party... Only thing is, the secondary is up in my basement in upstate NY, and my kegging stuff is down here in NJ...

Is it a bad idea to fill the keg, and drive it down to NJ (approx 2.5 hours) without putting it on CO2?
If you can't pressurize it before your trip, your O-rings might leak. Put it in the passenger seat and belt it in and you should be fine, though.

If you don't have gas to purge the headspace with, you might slip a few carb tabs in it after you keg it to get it an early start making its own CO2, which, being heavier than air, will tend to lie on the surface of the beer, preventing it from oxidizing if you hit a speed bump too fast and it sloshes around.
On tap:Wilhoit Springs Bitter; Mac Cumhaill Breis Tiubh Stout; cider; soda water

Quick Reply