The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Transferring naturally carbed beer to bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
dcperilli
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Transferring naturally carbed beer to bottles

Hi All -

I received one of those Mr. Beer kits for Xmas and brewed my first batch 2 weeks ago. I let the batch sit and ferment for 2 weeks and bottled it a few days ago with sugar to naturally carbonate it.

However, I would like to transfer the beer (since there is sediment at the bottom of the Mr. Beer bottles) to a growler. How can I do this? I was thinking just using a sanitized funnel, but will that damage carbonation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 30 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 3224

It would destroy carbonation and cause intense oxidation.

Instead when opening the bottles just leave the last 2 ounces or about 1/2 of liquid in the bottle.
It takes a couple pours to get it just right but keep your eye on the beer coming out of the glass, as soon as you see it change (get cloudy, hazy, sediment) tilt up and leave the rest in the bottle.

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post
It would destroy carbonation and cause intense oxidation.

Instead when opening the bottles just leave the last 2 ounces or about 1/2 of liquid in the bottle.
It takes a couple pours to get it just right but keep your eye on the beer coming out of the glass, as soon as you see it change (get cloudy, hazy, sediment) tilt up and leave the rest in the bottle.
I'm guessing Johnny means 1/2 inch, not half the bottle. About where the label would end on a regular bottle of beer.

Also, I agree that you shouldn't transfer it. The sediment is mostly just yeast and other proteins. There is no real way to get rid of it when naturally carbing, unless you use these, http://sedexbrewing.com/. Leaving them in your fridge longer will help make this little cake more compact. It's normal though, and nothing to shy away from. It won't hurt you to drink it (it's actually filled with nutrients), so RDWHAHB. Congratulations on your first brew!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
dcperilli
Recipes 

Thanks for your replies!

Quick Reply