Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Transfer from PET Bottles to Glass

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Stigy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Transfer from PET Bottles to Glass

Quick question that I was thinking about the other day and finally have a place to ask it. My first homebrew (via the Mr. Beer kit) is currently fermenting and I plan to bottle it in the included 1-liter PET bottles so that I can tell when carbonation is done (via stiffness of bottle) as well as in the case that I do over-carb I don't want to have a glass explosion.

I can easily find reusable glass bottles, but I don't see many brown/green plastic bottles to use as a replacement for the ones that came with the kit, so my question is the following.

Is it possible to transfer beer that has conditioned & carb'd in a PET bottle into a glass bottle or will I just pretty much undo all of my carbonation and have a flat beer stored in my glass bottle? If it is not possible, can anyone recommend an alternative to this?

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

There's no way to do that that won't run the risk of oxydizing your beer. Just enjoy these beers as is, and bottle your next batch in whatever you want. Do change things in mid stream.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
jsv1204
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 to the Rev

Why do you want to transfer?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Stigy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsv1204 View Post
+1 to the Rev

Why do you want to transfer?
For the first few times I wanted to bottle in the PET bottles so I could check their carbonation via feeling the bottle and not run the risk of over carbonating and having a glass bottle explode.

BUT I only have a limited supply of PET bottles to bottle in, but many more glass bottles so just trying to figure out a solution.

But I guess after the first few batches I will just bottle in glass after I have enough experience with the amount of sugar needed to reach the correct carbonation level.

Currently Fermenting
#1 BBS Bruxelle's Blonde (1/20/2014)

Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

You don't need to "feel your beer" to know if it's carbed. Just don't try them until it's been a MINIMUM of three weeks for a 12 ounce bottle stored at or above 70 degrees, or in the case of those pet bottles or larger, at least 5 weeks.

And as to bottle bombs, if you make sure your beer is completely done fermenting and conditioned for awhile, used the correct amount of sugar, and made sure to clean and sanitize your bottles and caps, there's really no need to fear a bottle bomb.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
Stigy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You don't need to "feel your beer" to know if it's carbed. Just don't try them until it's been a MINIMUM of three weeks for a 12 ounce bottle stored at or above 70 degrees, or in the case of those pet bottles or larger, at least 5 weeks.

And as to bottle bombs, if you make sure your beer is completely done fermenting and conditioned for awhile, used the correct amount of sugar, and made sure to clean and sanitize your bottles and caps, there's really no need to fear a bottle bomb.
Revvy - thanks for the insight.

So those 1-liter bottles could need almost 5 weeks to fully carb? Good to know as I was only planning on going for 2-3 weeks. Thank you!

Currently Fermenting

Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigy View Post
Revvy - thanks for the insight.

So those 1-liter bottles could need almost 5 weeks to fully carb? Good to know as I was only planning on going for 2-3 weeks. Thank you!
Bigger bottles take longer than 12 ouncers....

Old 12-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
Stigy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Bigger bottles take longer than 12 ouncers....
Makes sense now that someone said it, just never crossed my mind to increase the carb time for a larger bottle.

There is such a wealth of information here - it is absolutely incredible. Thanks again!

Currently Fermenting

Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

One thing many people do, especially the impatient ones like me, is to bottle one or two out of every batch in 16 oz soda bottles. It works great (just don't use bottles from "smelly" soda like rootbeer) and then you can judge carbonation with just a squeeze.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

In a pinch, I've forced carbed beer in PET bottles for competitions. To tranfer to glass, all you need is a Carbonator Cap and a picnic tap. Put a gas out disconnect onto the picnic tap and use the "We no need no stinking beer gun... " method. Bleed the air space off the PET bottle, turn it up-side-down and squeeze. Works fine. Minimal O2 and little carbonation loss.

Edit to say:
It helps to have two people.

Billy-Klubb
Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply