Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Too soon to bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
ganu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too soon to bottle?

First batch has been resting in the pantry for 7 days now, but I've noticed that for the past 2 days (maybe even 3) my blowoff tube/airlock has been burping air only around once every 45 seconds. Real consistent. Kinda plateaued there.

Will my fermentation totally cease before I move on to bottling or is this as inactive as it's going to get? Like I said, it's kinda leveled off instead of continuing on and tapering off.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
ganu
Recipes 

Default Too soon to bottle?

(I asked this in the BOTTLING/KEGGING room but it's not getting any views there)

First batch has been resting in the pantry for 7 days now, but I've noticed that for the past 2 days (maybe even 3) my blowoff tube/airlock has been burping air only around once every 45 seconds. Real consistent. Kinda plateaued there.

Will my fermentation totally cease before I move on to bottling or is this as inactive as it's going to get? Like I said, it's kinda leveled off instead of continuing on and tapering off.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganu View Post
(I asked this in the BOTTLING/KEGGING room but it's not getting any views there)

Thanks in advance.
As many will tell you here, do not go off airlock activity to determine fermentation. Take a hydrometer reading over a three day period and if it remains constant then fermentation is complete and you are safe to bottle.
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Business Time IPA, Juicy Melons Pale
Bottled: Country Cider, Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Nits Wit, Rye IPA, Passion Fruit IPA, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 05-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
barleynhops
Recipes 

The best way to know for sure is to take a gravity reading. If you're at your target FG, then you're ready to bottle!

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
-Dave Barry-

Old 05-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmatt View Post
As many will tell you here, do not go off airlock activity to determine fermentation. Take a hydrometer reading over a three day period and if it remains constant then fermentation is complete and you are safe to bottle.
What he said. What type of beer are you brewing and what is your target Gravity suppose to be?

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 05-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
pnh2atl
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Check the gravity over 3 days if there is no change it is done. I waited until the bubbles stopped once then bottled only to have the bottles explode. I checked the gravity from some of the bottles and it was way lower then it was prior to bottling.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:31 AM   #7
ganu
Recipes 

I wish I had an answer about my gravity. When I bought my kit/recipie, the only instructions were to let it ferment 7-14 days (10 ideal). No specs on gravity were included. This is a wheat ale that my local brew shop calls the house wheat. Just some kind of basic beginner beer.

So judging off of bubble activity is not the way to go, huh? The exploding bottles is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'll likely go ahead and do my 10 days per instructions.

EDIT: gravity is sitting at 1.012

Old 05-02-2010, 03:54 AM   #8
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Ok, so check the gravity again in 2 more days and if its till at .012 then bottle that sucker. the 7-14 days could be for differences in fermentation temperature or any other variable such as that particular yeast strain. .012 doesn't sound too bad though.

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Quick Reply