Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Too much foam, not enough beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
HeavyKettleBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default Too much foam, not enough beer

New to kegging, advice will be appreciated. I searched forums but could not find the answer.

Problem:

I am using a 5 gal Ball Lock Corny Keg system with a 5lb CO2 tank and dual gauge regulator. I have the keg inlet side set to 10psi and it continues to spit out more foam than beer. I have a chrome tap handle on a quick disconnect secured to outlet side of Corny keg. The regulator has a splitter for a second keg, but it is shutoff while waiting for second keg to finish out. Beer on tap is a Darker than Brown Ale. I forced carbonated at 25psi for a week. Set the regulator at 10psi for serving. Keg has been in the fridge for two weeks since force carbonating. I have not purged or done anything to the Keg except pour beer with WAY too much head.

Question:

What now? I don't want to repeat any mistakes or oversight on my second keg. Anything I can do to fix this problem?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
shust1982
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

What temperature is it? How long is your beer line and what size is it?

Old 03-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
TsunamiBeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here is what I did when I over carbonated my beer.

I turned the pressure off and purged it. Let it sit for an hour and purge again. After third time I hooked up at serving pressure and purged again. When gas finishes filling( you can hear it), I tried serving a glass. Still too carbed, repeat. Otherwise enjoy.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

25 psi for a week = very over-carbonated beer

You may have other issues as well, but until you fix the overcarbing problem there's no way to know. Like TsunamiBeer said, you need to disconnect the gas, and purge the excess pressure. Keep the gas off, and vent the keg every time you think about it for a few days, and then take a sample to see how carbed it is.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

The dispensing side of keg is a tap connected to ball lock quick disconnect, so I would consider this hard lined. With regards to temperature, fridge set at 1 for cold. I just put my digital thermometer in the fridge but guessing it at near 40 degrees. For future reference, I wil be naturally carbonating in the keg with sugar. I was overly impatient and read so many posts on force carbonating that I gave it a try. I may have misread instructions and will read over them once again. I have just turned off the valve and purged the keg. Hopefully, I can get a good pour tomorrow. To be clear, I did leave the gas on at 25psi when force carbonating for a week. The beer itself is not overly carbonated just forms a very thick head that takes about 5 minutes to settle down. I am wondering if I should have just pressurized the keg to 25 psi and then shut the valve off?

Old 03-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
watergod
Recipes 

Go to Kegging and carbonating your homebrew on YouTube. The video is made by Northern brewer and the way they do it works great for me.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I know it's counter-intuitive, but the reason the beer tastes somewhat flat even though it's overcarbed is actually because it's overcarbed. Most of the gas is escaping in the form of foam, and what's left after it has a chance to settle out is usually pretty flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
I am wondering if I should have just pressurized the keg to 25 psi and then shut the valve off?
No, that gas would have been absorbed quickly, and done very little to carbonate the beer. If you want to increase the pressure to speed things up, only leave it at the increased pressure for a couple days.

There are many methods to force carbonate, the most reliable being the set and forget method, which simply means putting the beer on serving pressure and waiting 7-14 days. There are also many different "burst carbing" methods to force carb a little faster. These usually involve increasing the pressure for a SHORT duration, and/or shaking the keg. The video mentioned above from Nothern Brewer is good, and there's also a good thread stickied at the top of this forum-

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-...strated-73328/

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Quick Reply