Too much foam from bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secinarot

Reaction score
I made a pumpkin ale back in August. Left it for 2 weeks in the primary and 2 more weeks in the secondary then bottled. The beer has been way too carb-ed since day 1 of tasting from the bottles. I have tried storing the bottles in the fridge for at least a week prior to opening but I still get a ton of foam. Once the foam settles out it tastes pretty good and the carb level is fine.

Should I un-cap the bottles and then re-cap to remove some of the carbonation? If so, what is the best way to do it (i.e. chill first? How long to sit w/o cap? etc.)

In terms of fixing this for the next time, FG was 1.011 so I think it was done fermenting. I am thinking that maybe it has something to do with the pumpkin and a lot of unfermentables in the wort? Maybe reduce the priming sugar by half next time?

+1 on the less priming sugar (or longer ferment).

I'm thinking out loud here, try putting one in the freezer see what it does? More then likely you might have to uncap/recap them. I'll let the experts chime in on that one. Good luck and happy brewing!

Are there any tips to uncapping and recapping? Should I do it with warm bottles to drive off more CO2? How long to leave them uncapped? Any risk of oxidation?

Try 30 minutes then recap, If they're still too carbed do it agin for 30 mintues. Caps are cheap. i did this once to a batch, just open them all and laid the new sanitized caps on top. CO2 will still escape. No worry for oxidation, there is CO2 (remember the original problem?) escaping pushing air up.

Back