Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Too early?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
cladinshadows
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Too early?

I have a cream ale (OG = 1.043) that's been going for 8 days now. The gravity has been steady at 1.008 for a two days. I have time this afternoon to bottle and I may not have time in the next few weeks... should I just go ahead and prime and bottle or is it too early? My thinking is that it probably won't hurt because the flavor is so light anyway that it's not going to benefit greatly from conditioning in the carboy much longer anyway. What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

I'd probably leave it longer, rather than bottling it today. Sure, it's done, but you probably have quite a bit of "stuff" to still settle out. Anything that isn't settled out before you bottle will fall to the bottom in the bottle. Not a big deal to some, but I like a minimum of sediment in my bottles. Cream ales are a nice summer drink, and I enjoy them. I like them crisp and "clean" tasting, and prefer them to be clear.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Time is your friend. If you let it sit on the yeast cake for another couple weeks you'll be much happier than if you bottle this early. The yeast will clean up after themselves and reduce off flavors you might get otherwise.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I'd say wait. If you bottle in two weeks, you can reduce the time in the bottle before consumption.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply