The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > tiny bubbles, ready to bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
Fighting_sin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default tiny bubbles, ready to bottle?

I have a Belgian Ale that was made using White Labs Belgian Golden Ale Yeast (WLP570). It has been in the carboy for 4 weeks and 3 days, in temps between 72 to 78 degrees F. However, it still has a small, 1/4 inch ring of bubbles on the surface with small streams of tiny bubbles rising from the bottom. It looks like a lightly carbonated beer or soda.... The other problem is that I don't have access to a hydrometer at this moment either...

Is this still fermenting? Do you think I'll get explosions if I bottle now? Are these bubbles residual?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
TrojanMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What's your gravity reading?

Measuring gravity is the ONLY reliable way to determine if primary fermentation is complete or not. Once gravity readings are steady for 3-4 days, you're ready to bottle.

If you've got a big beer, it may very well still be going strong after 4 weeks. If it was OG < 1.080 then you're probably complete. Operative word is probably.

Look at it this way: One more day won't hurt anything. Take a gravity reading now and take another one tomorrow afternoon. If they're the same, bottle it. If they're different, let it go a while longer.

Last edited by TrojanMan; 06-24-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply