Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Tinted Plastic Juice Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
chemnitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Tinted Plastic Juice Bottles

So, I just made a big batch of hard cider, and now I am left with 10 half-gallon PET plastic juice bottles that are tinted brown. Being the thrifty homebrewer that I am, is there any way to reuse these?

Option 1: If these bottles seal tight enough, I could use them as makeshift growlers. They are tinted, which is a big plus. Would they work for bottling conditioning? Is it worth experimenting with one of them?

Option 2: Micro-fermenters. If I drill a hole in the top of one and add an airlock, then I could create a couple tiny micro-fermenters for experimental batches (or the infamous Ancient Orange Mead). Is a half-gallon too ridiculously small for this purpose? Any problems that I would face?

So, I'll turn this question over to the wisdom of the board. Thanks.

"Das Wort hat, ... als ich Wittenbergisch Bier mit meinem Philipp und Amsdorf getrunken hab, also viel getan..." - Martin Luther

On Deck: American IPA, Märzen
Fermenting: None
In Bottles: Prime Abbey Singel, Vespers Abbey Dubbel, Terce Abbey Tripel, Compline Abbey Quad, Dragon's Tail Barleywine, Boyne Mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2009, 04:04 AM   #2
Crazytwoknobs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Option 1: Probably.

Option 2: They make drilled stoppers for wine bottles, so I'd imagine some people do even smaller fermentations than you're suggesting! Go for it, especially if you can rig up some fun mini-temperature-control.

Marbles baby, marbles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply