Tight Enough Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JedSmithBrewery

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just bottled my first batch last night. I used a super agata bench capper. The caps seem to be pretty tight, but one thing that I did notice is that if I use all of my strength I can get them to twist a little bit. Is this normal?

Also, should I be able to see the signs of fermentation ( ie. bubbles ) inside the bottles?

Did you sanitize the caps? I'm guessing you did (most of us do...) and the seals are wet. Once you cap them...leave them be. Yes, they'll twist because they are wet. Try again the next day. But the more you mess with them you start to risk a bad seal. Don't worry, it's fine.....

I have twisted some non-twist-off caps both commercial and homebrew. Since it's a circular seal, with enough effort you'll pretty much be able to twist any cap, it's no problem.

If you're extra paranoid about the seal, spray or wet it down with some soapy water and shake (after its capped of course), if there are no bubbles around the soapy seal, it's a good seal.

Back